Sacramento Sheriff Scott Jones to run against Ami Bera for Congress seat

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  oldcrank 3 years ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think Jones has a good chance to beat Bera. Bera is vulnerable. Jones will do well in Sacramento county. Hopefully Ose and other GOP challengers stay out of the race.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Why do you think Jones will beat Bera? First, he’s done a miserable job with the SSD. Abysmal. They are probably the worst LE agency in the region for response and follow through. Combine that with Bera’s excellence in actually working hard in his district, attending events, responding to constituents, and a long ways from a dependable Democrat vote, and I think he’s going to be hard to beat. I think he’s earned another term, and given the competition and about zero chance of losing the House, he will probably get my vote.

oldcrank
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 45
    • Total Posts - 48

@lc 120006 wrote:

Why do you think Jones will beat Bera? First, he’s done a miserable job with the SSD. Abysmal. They are probably the worst LE agency in the region for response and follow through. Combine that with Bera’s excellence in actually working hard in his district, attending events, responding to constituents, and a long ways from a dependable Democrat vote, and I think he’s going to be hard to beat. I think he’s earned another term, and given the competition and about zero chance of losing the House, he will probably get my vote.

I hear the assertions.

Evidence, examples?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 120006 wrote:

Did Tom hack into your account?

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

What, do you want a link or something? 😉 We have worked with nearly all the PDs both with the centers and as a neighborhood association. Examples are all anecdotal, and would take pages. I’m going to opt out of specifics for obvious reasons, but I can simply say that the union has control of that department, and has for some time. While I did know Blanas, largely through politics, and have had an indirect personal encounter with McGinnis, I’ve never met Sheriff Jones. He may be a great guy, no idea, but he has not led the department towards anything approaching reasonable response times, nor does the department have a history of taking anyone into custody unless the crime in their minds is worth the effort of detaining and booking-and the deputies aren’t afraid to tell you that. They let people walk away first, and that includes multiple instances of knife attacks, auto burglary, and physical assaults. No one I know has any confidence in them, and that includes some deputies (not the best source, admittedly), and LE in other agencies. Having the union as a tenant for several years and knowing the union presidents quite well was insightful too.

Compare the SSD to EGPD, and it’s laughable. In our experience, there is EGPD and then everyone else, at least in Sac County. Even the Sac City cops who have never enjoyed a great reputation are better than the SSD. Placer County allocates more funds for LE, and they are better if for no other reason there are more of them.

Although I’ve haven’t voted for a Dem Rep for decades, Ami Bera has been arguably the best Rep the district, now tilting Dem, has had in recent memory. He or a staffer, often Ami himself, make sure they are on the streets and attend events in school districts, city issues, regional topics, whatever is going on with the district stakeholders. I think he’s as much a citizen politician as can be expected today, and I generally like his votes in Congress. If he’s vulnerable, it’s because he’s not been an Obamabot, and some of the Democrats don’t like him. It’s possible he might be primaried, haven’t heard, but compared to a man I see as a do nothing, I haven’t found a reason not to support him.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

The far lefties who supported Bera are very frustrated and upset at his record since being elected. They believe he sold them out and is too moderate and not supporting their core values.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think Jones is popular around here for a couple of reasons. He made the CCW process much easier. It was almost impossible under Mcginness. Also he’s been very vocal against some of Obama’s policies and statements. I have never had any interaction with the Sheriff department so I don’t know how good or bad they are. I haven’t heard anything bad about them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy