fbpx

School ratings, how to read them?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Ben 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Ben
    Participant
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 7
    • Total Posts - 12

Hi,

can anybody tell me how to read school ratings? Whoever I talk with tells me that all schools in EGUSD are very good. But, if I check ratings, there are schools in Elk Grove which have a rating of 5. Which is just average and not very good.

So how should I read that. I consider to buy a house in an area which has an elementary school of rating 5. Should I not buy the house because of that?
    Also I heard that there are at least 2 more elementary schools build in EG. Does anybody know how the new boundaries will be?

Thank you everybody

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Don’t look at only a composite rating for any major decisions. There are four things that I believe are important. One, how the subject school stacks up against other schools with similar demographics, 2) test scores, compared to other schools in the region and district, 3) the percentage of students testing at grade level or above (meeting standards), and most important, 4) increase in test scores over the period shown.

Select your schools to review from this link

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Also, look what schools you feed into. What middle school and high school will the elementary school feed too?

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

There are some nuances that are normally hard to detect, diamonds in the rough. My wife ran a Title I elementary school that was tougher than any school in the EDUSD. Through a dedication that had not been seen previously, she got Administrator of the Year last year for shaping up the program and getting test scores up, but on a chart they were still low in comparison to the schools in better areas. She’s worked in four districts and seven schools, and felt her staff at this gang infested, poverty stricken school was the best she’d ever had. Whether you’d want your child to attend there is questionable, but in her view they’d get as good or better an education than in most other elementary schools in that district because of the hard working, dedicated staff. Plus, a good student in a difficult environment is a stand out, which never hurts.

Ben
    Participant
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 7
    • Total Posts - 12

Thanks for all the replies. I compared the school with the california staete Departement of Education website and I got the folder from the school. Nothing really convinced me. We will look for another real estate in a different school boundary.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

I believe most schools within the Elk Grove Boundary are good schools with good teachers. Go visit the schools in the neighborhoods you are looking into. Just reading stats and comparing some website will give you some good stats, but won’t tell you anything about the make up and culture of the school.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@CJay916 128205 wrote:

I believe most schools within the Elk Grove Boundary are good schools with good teachers. Go visit the schools in the neighborhoods you are looking into. Just reading stats and comparing some website will give you some good stats, but won’t tell you anything about the make up and culture of the school.

I agree. I think using data can eliminate some choices, but it won’t give you the culture and feel of the campus and staff. You can, however, get a pretty good read from each school’s web page. Check the demographics and the mission statement, and the general tone of the site.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Some of the older schools are in more established areas and there is less transition of students. That’s something I looked for when I moved here 15 plus years ago. Markofer Elementary is an excellent school in an older area. Also…just to be on the safe side, call the schools in the area where you are looking for homes. This may not be as big of an issue as it was in the past, but there are times your child will not be able to attend the local school if it is impacted. They will offload to another school. It is something to confirm BEFORE you buy….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy