fbpx

Sheldon/Waterman Road Traffic Circle

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Mitch 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I decided to check out the open house at the library. They had some renderings of what it will look like. There were a few people there. Saw Councilman Pat Hume there. I took some photos to share. Overall I think the project looks pretty good. Traffic engineers believe that traffic circles work better at keeping traffic moving than a stop light and much better than a stop sign. Aesthetically it looks nice. The plants will drought tolerant. They tried to keep it with a rural feel and not be to much like a suburb.

sheldon1.jpg

This is the first phase which will begin around June. School will be out so that is a good time. During this time Sheldon will be closes to through traffic between Waterman and Bradshaw. Local traffic can still get through.
    They will be raising part of the road slightly which is where the circle itself will be.

sheldon2.jpg

During this period they will start shifting the roadway to the east. All roads will be open during this time.

sheldon3.jpg

sheldon4.jpg

sheldon5.jpg

sheldon6.jpg

This is the completed rendering of the intersection

sheldon7.jpg

There will be a windmill in the center.

sheldon8.jpg

More renderings of the project

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

sheldon9.jpg

The roundabouts will have pedestrian and bike paths. Not sure what they will connect to because I don’t think there will bike lanes. Sheldon west of Waterman has a shoulder to ride on. Waterman doesn’t.

sheldon10.jpg

Some old farm equipment, including a windmill will be part of the circle too. The windmill will have a night time feature with a light.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I think people will be surprised at how much traffic it handles and handles well. The lane splitting on S/B Waterman into right turn only and thru/left will help too.

zepp
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 20

I think it looks great. Love the bike path idea. Would like it more if they actually put bike paths in with a separation from the road- THAT would be awesome(;

misskate1999
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 22
    • Total Posts - 23

I have seen and almost been in several accidents at that intersection. Closing Rubia drive has helped, and I think lowering the speed limit to 45 will help as well. And this is also a great idea!

I wonder if there is any plans to reduce the traffic back up around Sheldon high. And people fly past Bradshaw Christian! But I’m getting off topic… The tragic circle is a great idea!

merlin309
    Participant
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 13
    • Total Posts - 13

Did they say when it will be done?

Mitch
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 14
    • Total Posts - 14

Looks gorgeous. I’ll admit, I was skeptical of traffic circles at first…but the one in.Galt made me a believer!

norules
    Participant
    • Topics - 91
    • Replies - 530
    • Total Posts - 621

How are the circles on EG Blvd area during the peak commute times? The area east of Waterman and Elk Grove Blvd. Do they get bogged down at all? That would be the only concern with the circle during peak times.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@merlin309 121373 wrote:

Did they say when it will be done?

Probably November. It will be a 4-5 month process.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I’ve never waited to enter the traffic circles on Elk Grove Blvd but to be fair those side streets have much less traffic. The majority of traffic is proceeding straight through on EGB. At Waterman/Sheldon the will be traffic from all directions and many making turns.

ryball
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 25
    • Total Posts - 25

I love the bike/ped path. It’s nice to see the city give consideration to non-auto traffic. But, that turn only lane is weird. Can’t wait to drive it, but a regular roundabout throws people off. This is going to be interesting. Why didn’t they do the turn only on all paths?

ryball
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 25
    • Total Posts - 25

I also like how they direct the oncoming traffic away from the center of the roundabout. It may prevent people from driving over the center like what happened on Elk Grove Blvd for a couple of months. 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

True. They are making the roundabout a little higher so it will be more visible to drivers.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Hmmm looks pretty good.

I’ll just have to remember that it will be closed for a short while.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

Whatever they do, I hope it works for traffic. That intersection is a nightmare in the late afternoon/ early evening.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Will there be a training session for those who seem to have issues following directions? 😉

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

The can replace the windmill with the TV screen to show drivers how to effectively go around the roundabout.

Well maybe not, that would probably make everything worst.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

I like roundabouts, and this one looks great!

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

Curious what other roads they will widen in this area, if any?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Right now? None. I don’t think there are any plans to for at least 5 years.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Off the top of my head the general plan shows Sheldon, Bond, Waterman, Bradshaw, Calvine, and Grantline all being widened their entire length within the city limits. The possible exception being Sheldon. It might only be widened to Bradshaw.

However, as Doc noted when these are widened is a whole different story.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think that was the plan, but now they are going with the rural road standards and who knows when any of it will happen. I think something besides a stop sign at Bradshaw and Sheldon and Sheldon and Waterman will help ease traffic hopefully.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy