fbpx

Southern Caribbean

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ErinO 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

Has anyone been there? I’m going in April and it will be my first time in the Caribbean. We will spend 3 days in San Juan, Puerto Rico, then do a 7 day cruise with stops in St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. I’m looking for advice and recommendations on what to see and do while there – both do’s and don’ts. Thank you in advance for your information!!!

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Will you make it home from your Hawaii trip in time? :stir:.

We were in Turks and Caicos recently. No particular advice. I think the Carib is the Carib. You go for the beaches, not the culture. The people can range from pretty friendly to downright nasty. Going out on your own isn’t a good idea. There is no middle class, and the poor far outweigh the wealthy. Face it, they are generally a bunch of sand knolls that Europe controlled for years for salt and other minerals. Not much there, but the beaches are far, far superior to Hawaii. It’s more expensive too, the food is all imported so don’t expect much although some local specialties can be wonderful. It’s a place to drink and swim a lot, you’ll like it, I like it too.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

Well I really thought a bunch of people had been there and could offer advice. Off to the web for info!

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

We’ve been, but it was almost 20 years ago. Check that link I sent you via PM. You’ll get the best info there.

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

I hear there be pirates in them waters! Arrrrrrr…

The closest I’ve been to the Caribbean is the ride at Disney.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

My time has been spent in the Keys and the Bahamas.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I think the reason to do a Caribbean cruise is because it can be dirt cheap for a beach trip. You can get the same thing done in certain spots in Florida with better and cheaper food and more to do, or at some of the outer islands in the Bahamas. Cruise ports can be pretty crappy (Nassau) for a short stay, but you can get a shuttle or a boat to nice beaches.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We went on our honeymoon just over 20 years ago. We went to Cozumel, Bahamas, Jamaica and one other place. It was fun. I went bother with Jamaica again. Not really much to see and people trying to sell you crap and drugs. You really don’t see that much of the islands you’re at. Usually 9 am to 5 pm. Too rushed. I would almost rather stay on the boat and relax. My favorite days were the ones we were at sea all day and could just relax.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

We went last year to the Caribbean. I really love St. Thomas, especially the French side. You will dock on the Dutch side and it can be very, very crowded. I rented a car for the day and went over – much more reasonable.

Depending on which cruise line you are on, when trying to bring alcohol on board, sometimes the ships will confiscate it for “safety” reasons (and return it at the end of the cruise). We would bring empty, opaque water bottles, buy a bottle of rum, drink some of it on the island, and fill the water bottles with the rest. It helped with having a rum supply in the room.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

Well, we aren’t drinkers so the alcohol issue isn’t a problem. Does anyone have any ideas for things to see in San Juan? We will be there for three days prior to the ship. Thanks for everyone’s info!

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Hang on tight to your possessions, or you will be seeing the inside of the police station reporting the robbery. I know two people who were robbed there within a year. You might be safe now though, because I hear Alex Rodriguez is now living in the US.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Well, not sure what you want to see, but a few years ago a friend told me that as her ship pulled in to port the local boys were sitting on the seawall masturbating. You were probably thinking about other attractions…

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

I don’t understand the appeal of travel to any 3rd world country, but I’m snobby like that… If I want to see abject poverty I can cruise a multitude of inner cities in the US.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

@doclaguna 92446 wrote:

I don’t understand the appeal of travel to any 3rd world country, but I’m snobby like that… If I want to see abject poverty I can cruise a multitude of inner cities in the US.

True. The reason for Puerto Rico is because my husband is working there those days. I thought perhaps there would be something to see there.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

We are going on a Disney cruise in March to Eastern Mexico and the Caribbean, because we want to see the Mayan ruins. Yes, we will see a lot of poverty, but also things we can’t see elsewhere.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

That’s the Western Caribbean. You’ll like that part of Mexico, sans Cancun. Poverty isn’t so bad around the Yucatan. The ruins are great. You’ll be going into Cozumel. You take a boat over to Playa there for the really good beaches. Been all over those parts, like it a lot.

Never really been to a third world country other than Mexico and Los Angeles.

sea
    Participant
    • Topics - 107
    • Replies - 3,062
    • Total Posts - 3,169

I liked Cancun. The beaches at our resort were outstanding. The Mayan ruins were interesting. I enjoyed Isla Mujeres also. Beautiful.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Cancun was nice 20 years ago–way too crowded now. It’s like Vegas. The beaches are spectacular. That’s what you’ll see on your trip, but even better. Same power white sand. We used to stay south of there, little place called Akumal. We would rent a beautiful brand new two story house IN the water–a pole house with a ramp to the shore–about 1800 SF–for $65 per night. That was when Mexico was cheap and no one ever heard of Akumal except the French–that’s about all that was there. We would take kayaks down to the national park to the south and kayak the islands all day. Loved it, no one ever there.

It’s also where I learned what a Stonefish is. I was about to step on it when a local screamed at me to stop and back up. They look exactly like a rock, and if you step on it barefoot–you’re dead–unless you can get an antidote injected in about 15 minutes. They look exactly like a gray rock. Now I never go in any of the tropical waters without water shoes. Not a bad practice.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@doclaguna 92446 wrote:

Might be safer in a 3rd world country though. πŸ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.