fbpx

Sports Authority closing all its stores

This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Sports Authority is going to close all their stores just weeks after announcing they would close some stores and restructure. This was inevitable after that news. Coupled with the closing of all Sports Chalet stores, this will leave Elk Grove with two vacant big box stores in the near future. In both cases when I shared this on the EGL Facebook page, some people were mad that the city of Elk Grove didn’t do more to help the stores. They didn’t understand that ALL the stores were closing, not just here.

Which brings up another issue on what the residents of Elk Grove know, understand and believe. I think a vast majority of the residents have no clue how the city operates. They think the city needs to finish the outlet mall. I think most would be hard pressed to name the mayor let alone the city council members. I was a local business last week and met a couple that has lived here for over 10 years. They didn’t know who the Mayor was or any of the city council. I realize some people have tunnel vision, but how do you live here that long and not know? Unfortunately I think they may be in the majority. Maybe half could name the mayor. I doubt there is 5% that could name all 5 on the city council. Part of that is how would they know and find out? About the only way is on social media and the Internet. I don’t know how many subscribers the Citizen has, but it can’t be very much and most I would think are on the East side. The Sac Bee doesn’t do much, not that a lot of people get the Bee.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

The website and signs on Sports Chalet said they are closing. But I haven’t seen any confirmation that Sports Authority is closing all stores. Is that 100%?

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

ABC10 has learned no Sacramento area stores will be closing. A nationally-reported story over the weekend seemed to suggest Sports Authority was closing all their stores.

A Sports Authority general manager told ABC10’s Marc Thompson the plan at this time does not include closing the three in this area.

The Sacramento locations are along Freeway Boulevard, Arden Way and Laguna Bouelvard.

Last month, sporting store rival Sports Chalet announced they were closing all their stores and have stopped selling merchandise online. There are four Sports Chalet’s in the Sacramento area: one in Roseville, Arden Arcade, Elk Grove and Vacaville.

http://www.abc10.com/money/sports-authority-not-closing-sacramento-locations/164715116

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Interesting. I think it’s delaying the inevitable though.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

This is not “official” which may be why ABC said that. However, once the judge signs off on it (and he/she will), it will be official. The sales will start by the end of May.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Yes, I read the same thing Steve said. A judge has to sign off on it, and legally they have to give employees a certain amount of notice as well.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Name one successful general sporting goods chain. Right now it’s Dicks, and it was a terrific stock too, but so are they all on rollouts and now it’s just hanging around doing nothing. Once they are stabilized none of them seem to do very well. No wonder. Every discount store and box store has a decent general sporting goods section. Walgreen has sporting goods! Serious people still go to specialty stores like REI, fly shops, Fleet Feet, kayak/canoe stores, even Cabela’s and Bass Pro. I can’t think of a business I’d like to be in less. Low margin, no brand protection, strictly a commodity business in the mass merchandising sector. I think Sports Authority has made it pretty clear over the past few months that they’re gone. This is more than a cherry picking jaunt. Remember Sportsmart? Oshman? Herman’s?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

My husband has been window shopping for a new tennis racquet the last month, and all the brick and mortar shops are much, much, much higher than Amazon. Even Sports Chalet hasn’t marked their racquets down below 20% off, which is still higher than Amazon.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@lc 125676 wrote:

Name one successful general sporting goods chain. Right now it’s Dicks, and it was a terrific stock too, but so are they all on rollouts and now it’s just hanging around doing nothing. Once they are stabilized none of them seem to do very well. No wonder. Every discount store and box store has a decent general sporting goods section. Walgreen has sporting goods! Serious people still go to specialty stores like REI, fly shops, Fleet Feet, kayak/canoe stores, even Cabela’s and Bass Pro. I can’t think of a business I’d like to be in less. Low margin, no brand protection, strictly a commodity business in the mass merchandising sector. I think Sports Authority has made it pretty clear over the past few months that they’re gone. This is more than a cherry picking jaunt. Remember Sportsmart? Oshman? Herman’s?

Nailed it plus Amazon. Super Walmart has a huge selection of outdoor gear.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

The Sports Authority near me is selling everything including the fixtures. They say they aren’t going out of business completely, but what they DO suggests otherwise. The way they have things marked looks just like a bankruptcy liquidation.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I need to go to our Sports Authority. My family went there when we got serious about running. They helped us out tremendously. I needed boy running shoes because my feet are too small. I like their sports clothes there too.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@adiffer 125679 wrote:

The Sports Authority near me is selling everything including the fixtures. They say they aren’t going out of business completely, but what they DO suggests otherwise. The way they have things marked looks just like a bankruptcy liquidation.

They just haven’t read their memo yet 😉
    I apologize for the humor at something that affects many in terms of employment, business partnerships, revenue, shopping/convenience, etc. But I’m thinking most wouldn’t say that this is such a big surprise. I think it’s been mentioned on EG-L forums many times already – the battle between B&M and “e-commerce” has been watch for a long time, and sooner or later one would fall, and so far online purchases are still rising.

A huge example should have been Netflix/Redbox vs Blockbuster. That fight was relatively short.

The cost to house merchandise and make it welcoming to customers walking (decor, products, employee uniforms, employee hiring, etc) in is far more expensive than placing product on pallets of merchandise, having someone drive a forklift, and then sending the package out to UPS/FedEx for shipping. Although I don’t have specific numbers to compare with, I only speculate that this is the case.

I’m wondering when stores like Best Buy or Staples is going to call it.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Staples has closed some stores already and they aren’t expanding. They still have office supply stuff which may be why they are hanging around. A lot of stuff you can just get it online. For example we needed a computer for our office. We didn’t need anything fancy. It’s just for a couple of Realtors to have online access and maybe print stuff out, so they only needed online and to access a printer. They will use it probably less than 5 hours a week. I found an HP Slimline desktop for $260 on Amazon. Saturday morning and got it Monday. Even if it only lasts 2-3 years, which it will last longer, it was worth it.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@egdonald 125683 wrote:

They just haven’t read their memo yet 😉

I’m wondering when stores like Best Buy or Staples is going to call it.

Maybe they’re around because they’re the only brick and mortar superstores remaining in their categories? I am not the best planner, and more than once I’ve been printing something, run out of paper, and had to make an unplanned Staples run. Best Buy is on my short list when I need a cable to finish something, now that Radio Shack is gone, but rarely for anything of any price consequence. They’re good for looking at TVs before you buy I guess.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@egdonald 125683 wrote:

I apologize for the humor at something that affects many…

Humor might actually help. Bankruptcy signals a misallocation of labor. I’m all for helping people displaced by it to see their situation as a long-term good for them and others. If we roll up our sleeves and help them keep up their spirits and find other jobs, we are doing the moral thing. Humor might help and yours signals that others can see the trap they are in. 8)

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

I really did NOT expect Best Buy to be alive at this point.
    They must have something analogous to a portrait of Dorian Gray.
    Very Odd.

MooseMom
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 254
    • Total Posts - 353

We were in S.A. yesterday (May 8) and there were NO signs up, no indications at all that they are closing. Of course, there never ARE any sales staff around to help, which MIGHT (?) have something to do with why they are going under? Yes, this was the Elk Grove store on Laguna Blvd…

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

I heard they weren’t closing. Just Sports Chalet.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

That’s what they are saying for now. I think it’s inevitable though.

SteveB6509
    Participant
    • Topics - 36
    • Replies - 1,460
    • Total Posts - 1,496

Nothing is official until the judge signs off on it. There are discussions under way with potential suitors to take over many of the stores but I too lean towards an eventual closing.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The other day I was at Sports Chalet buying a couple of things and I heard what I think was the manager talking about the Sports Chalet Stores and saying some would become Dick’s and he said a couple of other names, but I didn’t hear them. Might be something for Dick’s to look at with an existing store as opposed to building one from the ground up. Gary Davis said Dick’s is going in by Costco.

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@EGL Admin 125850 wrote:

… Gary Davis said Dick’s is going in by Costco.

Dumb question – the coming-soon CostCo? or the existing South Sac Costco?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I believe the coming soon one, since the existing S. Sac one isn’t in EG so Gary wouldn’t be involved in that one.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy