Students marching for free tuition, loan forgiveness and $15 jobs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

Shared this on my FB page. This young woman is the spokesperson for the “million student march”. She thinks the top 1% should pay for everything, even if it means taxing them 90%. She said she and her friends would be happy to pay 90% in taxes if they make over $250K. How stupid are you that you would be willing to keep $25K and give the rest to the government. She’s full of crap. She wouldn’t even want to pay 50%. Neil Cavuto was being very nice and completely destroyed her argument. I’m watching the video and thinking are you “F-ing” kidding me? You want free college, all loans forgiven and campus jobs should pay $15? How did we get to this point where people actually believe they are entitled to this type of stuff? If that was my kid saying that I would probably kill him.

You have to watch the video at the link below. Interested to hear the comments of others on this.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/11/12/cavuto-interviews-college-protest-organizer-one-percent-can-afford-cover-free-tuition

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

As I said on FB, keep it up, I think it’s all great. Keep the college protests going too. I fully support all of it, and Hillary needs to get behind it too if she isn’t already. If they can keep the momentum for about 10 months, you’ll have half the Democrats voting for Ted Cruz. Does anyone really think that there is widespread support for these children? Maybe a few looney lefties, but aside from the spoiled children, not many, probably not even many of the Bernie Buffs would truly support this crazy stuff.

Edit: Watched the video. Cavuto was very polite, and he destroyed her to the point I almost felt sorry for her. She was a nice and polite young gal, just totally clueless. Totally. I wonder if she’ll rethink this after the interview? Maybe not externally, but inside I think she’s already tossing some of Cavuto’s point around.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

I think you’re right. This is good for the GOP. I have to think a lot of liberals are listening to her and think she is crazy. Anyone over the age of 40 will think she is nuts. Love how she laughed and giggled at his questions or points. It was like well duh, the rich should pay more and all will be good.

ActionEmotion
      • Topics - 130
      • Replies - 1,822
      • Total Posts - 1,952

Wow, this supports everything I’ve said about these emotion based lefties who have been created by education, media and entertainment. They feel in place of thinking. So walking out on a class you are supposed to be in is going to sway the policies of Washington politicians? HA! They are laughing at the naivete of these self important snowflakes who think that their “safe place” needs to be protected while they demand they be taken seriously. It boggles the mind.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

I think it starts at home and gets reinforced through the media and colleges. Kids raised by parents who don’t believe I this will be less likely to buy the propaganda. It’s one of those things that parents need to teach their kids and not let them figure it out on their own.

EGdonald
      Participant
      • Topics - 1
      • Replies - 176
      • Total Posts - 177

I don’t watch Cavuto, mainly because he airs on premium programming if I assume correctly – but I am glad he took the time to try to get across to the young student. I agree with Cavuto that she is to be commended on her activism and enthusiasm to get involved, however as many may come to the conclusion, she needs to include a wider scope than just the 1%.
      I am by far no where close to being a 1% 😛 but I believe the whole “money situation” we’re having needs to start with those who are spending it first before more is asked for.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

If people want the 1% to spend more, make it easier for them to do that and expand businesses and hire more people. The government should not be involved in the redistribution of money. All the regulations have done is make it so the companies operate leaner, they have moved operations overseas for a less money and they will make more profit. You’re not going to tax the country into prosperity.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

@LC 119979 wrote:

Does anyone really think that there is widespread support for these children?

I don’t think there is widespread support. But eventually these college kids will become adults. Not to mention they vote.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

@CJay916 120023 wrote:

I don’t think there is widespread support. But eventually these college kids will become adults. Not to mention they vote.

They DID vote, but will they in 2016? I suspect they will–for Bernie Sanders, not Hillary. So I’m not too concerned about that, this time. We know that generation is coming into voting age largely Democrat, but that’s a metric we have now and seems to survive all but the national elections. That’s why I haven’t virtually handed the election to Hillary quite yet.

newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

I don’t think there is widespread support either.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

Based on a couple of FB posts last night, I don’t think there was widespread support for the Mizzu students that are angry because the press was focusing on Paris instead of them. On the other hand, I saw a LOT of support for U of O football! 🙂

wildoates
      Participant
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 620
      • Total Posts - 629

That’s it, I’m not making any more payments on my student loans, because it should have been free in the first place!

And if burger-flippers deserve $15 an hour, extrapolate that out to me and I ought to be making about $300 an hour. I can dig that!

And, since healthcare should be free to all, I want a refund of the money I’ve been putting into the EGUSD retirement trust over the last two decades. It’s only fair.

It’s nice of y’all being willing to pay for all of that for me!

Bainc
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 892
      • Total Posts - 901

When I started working in 1995 min wage was $4.25/hr. If min wage was $15/hr today it would be equivalent to a 6.5% pay increase every year for the last 20 years. Using that same rate it means a $25k/yr job should be paying $88k/yr today. I’m not anti min wage and it’s probably due for an increase but asking to double the min wage to $15 means these people can’t do math as no jobs have had year over year pay increases of 6.5%.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

The problem is that they want people with no experience to start out making more than a lot of people are making with years of experience. It’s going up to $10 in January. That’s a significant increase. Most of the jobs I post on our weekly list are paying $9-10 an hour. Some of the jobs require experience and should probably pay more. Do you want quality people or just whoever to apply for the job? I see a lot of repeat job openings as well. Some of that is because they aren’t paying enough and aren’t getting good quality people. A few years ago I was looking for a job as bookkeeper/Office work. I went in for the interview. I think it was only paying $10 an hour. The guy told me I was over qualified. He didn’t want to bother to hire me because he knew I would keep looking for a higher paying job. That’s probably true, but still. They were going to hire someone who had no qualities. I saw a couple of other people show up for the interview and they were dressed in jeans and a T shirt. I was wearing a nice shirt and jacket.

Bainc
      • Topics - 9
      • Replies - 892
      • Total Posts - 901

When I said perhaps the min wage should increase a modest amount I was referring to the Federal min wage. Off the top of my head it’s only $7.25/hr and hasn’t increased since 2008. But yeah, $15 is bonkers.

violarose
      • Topics - 106
      • Replies - 2,959
      • Total Posts - 3,065

My babies are going to be in some kind of college next year, and I haven’t heard one say anything about expecting any free ride. They know its going to be hard work. I see them doing the hard work putting college applications in. I hope they dont get a clouded vision when they go thru college, I hope they keep their common sense.

EGdonald
      Participant
      • Topics - 1
      • Replies - 176
      • Total Posts - 177

can someone confirm:

Wasn’t there some controversy in Seattle/Washington when they in fact raised their minimum wage to $15? If I recall correctly, I heard some issues where some employees who also sought government assistance now no longer qualified because of the increase in wages. So, then some employees started requesting their employers to draw down their work schedule hours so that they can still qualify for such assistance.
      Was that true? or just people speculating?

MrsKaysSweetTreats
      • Topics - 20
      • Replies - 108
      • Total Posts - 128

I am just wondering what will happen should the min. wage increase to $15/hour and then the prices of everything will go up as well. I just saw an article that some food chains already have in the works computerized customer service pods that will replace the front line worker. Sounds like people will be loosing jobs….not making more money.

plasmadrive
      Participant
      • Topics - 88
      • Replies - 885
      • Total Posts - 973

Most of those with their collective hands out for more don’t even care that the employer has a LOT MORE to pay than just that wage. The taxes and insurance goes with it.. any type of matching funds, and so on.. $15 an hour costs way more than $15 an hour.

Then three are those that are retired or on a fixed income for some reason.. Those on a fixed income will have far less buying power.. they will all take a hit in their income because it will buy less and less. Not much thought seems to have been put forth on this issue.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

That’s because people don’t see the domino effect. They think the businesses make too much money. Take a small business like Mrs. Kay’s. She can’t afford to pay people $15 an hour. She already works 7 days a week most of the time, over 12 hours a day.

newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

People also don’t know how much it costs a company to have an employee and don’t know the true costs of benefits and what the employer pays into funds like payroll taxes, SS, workers comp funds, etc. They see about how some CEOs are making hundreds of millions and think all high level business people make too much in comparison to the hourly or lower paid staff.

adiffer
      Participant
      • Topics - 179
      • Replies - 9,504
      • Total Posts - 9,683

@MrsKaysSweetTreats 120292 wrote:

I am just wondering what will happen should the min. wage increase to $15/hour and then the prices of everything will go up as well. I just saw an article that some food chains already have in the works computerized customer service pods that will replace the front line worker. Sounds like people will be loosing jobs….not making more money.

You’ve already seen a glimpse of what’s coming. Guys like me will get paid to automate those jobs away.
      Whether we get involved depends quite a bit on the cost of labor we are replacing. We aren’t cheap, but when the folks we are removing are more expensive, markets will do what markets do.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

It would be interesting to do a historical backtesting to find if we’ve had these tipping points in the past that can be directly related to minimum wage increases, where capital replaces labor. Obviously this has been the pattern since the Industrial Revolution, but has a new wave been ignited with a wage increase?

This is one of my beefs with politicians, especially Democrats in this case. Either they don’t understand the capital markets, or assume their voters don’t. Same with education, especially at the state level. They get some “expert” who is going to talk their book anyway and use him/her as a “respected expert.”

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.