fbpx
Advertisements

Tami Nelson for Los Rios Community College Board of Trustees area 7

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  zepp 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

zepp
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 20

Hi! My name is Tami Nelson, and I am running for the Los Rios Community College Board of Trustees area 7, which includes east Elk Grove, south Sacramento, Wilton, and Rancho Cordova south of Hwy. 50. I have lived in Elk Grove many years and have been involved in the community. My two children play soccer in Elk Grove and have also done many other extra-curricular activities here. I am a teacher in the Elk Grove Unified School District. With this, I have been a part of many leadership committees including Instructional Rounds, Curriculum Lead, Department Chair, and School Site Council President. I also represented my school at union meetings. I am currently the Publicity board member at my children’s school on the Parent Teacher Fundraising Committee.

I double majored in Journalism and Sociology, received my Master’s degree in Media Studies, my teaching credential in English, and my Community College Faculty certificate. While earning my certificate, I taught at Sacramento City College and fell in love with the community of teachers and students. I am not a career politician, and have been involved with education my entire life. I understand the perspectives of students, teachers, parents, and community members. I would like to bridge the interests of all so that we can have a successful community college district with community engagement. Our graduation numbers are low. A focus of mine is to increase the graduation rate so that students can graduate more quickly. This will require them having access to classes they need, as well as having support so that they can be successful. Many community college students also work, so we need to make sure our schedule accommodates working students. With this, I want to also increase workforce development programs. Many nurses, law enforcement, and firefighters participate in programs through the Los Rios district, so we need to meet their needs.

Please check out my page http://www.norcalfamily.com/ and my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/taminelsonforlosriosarea7/ for more information. I would also love to discuss these issues and my campaign with anyone who is interested in setting up a neighborhood meet and greet.

Thank you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2421[/ATTACH]

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I’d like to put in not a good word, but a great word for Tami. I don’t know her real well, but we’ve certainly met and talked and in my book she’s first rate. She approaches everything I’ve seen from a practical standpoint, first looking at what goals need to be accomplished, then working backwards. And, she’s not a political hack, honestly looks at all sides of every issue we’ve discussed, and that goes a LONG ways with me.

Lots of us skip over this vote as we don’t know the players. Please don’t this time. You’re putting your trust in the right person for our community colleges.

zepp
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 20

Thank you, that means a lot to me. I always enjoy our discussions and hearing about other perspectives(-:

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Tami, I’m surprised in your bio pitch you didn’t mention your very successful online business. I don’t know many people who have identified a niche and worked it as well as you did. I don’t know how it ended up, whether your sold it or just moved on, but I do remember being nearly as excited as you when it started ramping so well. I think this adds an important dimension to your experience that could certainly be transferred to a work-study program you’ve identified as a target.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

Hello Tami.

I was checking out your website and saw the following, “An average of 25% of students in the district graduate within the normal time.” Can you explain this further? Seems like you are saying 1 out of 4 students graduate. That number doesn’t seem accurate compared to what I have read. Maybe I am reading that wrong? Thank you.

zepp
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 20

@CJay916 127895 wrote:

Hello Tami.

I was checking out your website and saw the following, “An average of 25% of students in the district graduate within the normal time.” Can you explain this further? Seems like you are saying 1 out of 4 students graduate. That number doesn’t seem accurate compared to what I have read. Maybe I am reading that wrong? Thank you.

Certainly, and thank you for taking the time to check out my website. If you visit http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/, you can see under “retention and graduation rates” the percent of students who graduate within “normal time” to complete their program. It varies from college to college within the Los Rios district, but the average percent of students who graduate on time is around 25% of the total students. This means that around 75% are NOT graduating within a “normal time”. This does not mean that 1 out of 4 graduate, but that it’s taking the students longer to graduate than it should. I would like to work on getting more students to graduate in a shorter amount of time. They should be getting strong support to make sure they are taking the classes they need, as well as having enough classes offered so that students can complete their education without wasting time.

Regarding the graduation rate, you can go to http://www.collegemeasures.org to see how the colleges stack up. In the Los Rios district, the graduation/transfer rate ranges from about 32-35%. This seems low and it is, but community colleges as a whole have low graduation/transfer rates.

Hope this helps!

zepp
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 20

I mentioned the business on my web site(; It’s relevant in that I can run a business for sure. I did sell to someone in Clovis who is currently running the business. I loved the store, especially interacting with customers in person and on social media. Agree about the work-study program and my experience as well. I’m a pretty well-rounded person(:

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@zepp 127900 wrote:

Certainly, and thank you for taking the time to check out my website. If you visit http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/, you can see under “retention and graduation rates” the percent of students who graduate within “normal time” to complete their program. It varies from college to college within the Los Rios district, but the average percent of students who graduate on time is around 25% of the total students. This means that around 75% are NOT graduating within a “normal time”. This does not mean that 1 out of 4 graduate, but that it’s taking the students longer to graduate than it should. I would like to work on getting more students to graduate in a shorter amount of time. They should be getting strong support to make sure they are taking the classes they need, as well as having enough classes offered so that students can complete their education without wasting time.

Regarding the graduation rate, you can go to http://www.collegemeasures.org to see how the colleges stack up. In the Los Rios district, the graduation/transfer rate ranges from about 32-35%. This seems low and it is, but community colleges as a whole have low graduation/transfer rates.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. I was reading that statistic and I assumed it was for High School students because I saw that you are a teacher for EGUSD. Now I realize that was for college students. Completely my fault. Good luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.