Tech leaders and republicans meet to discuss Trump

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  plasmadrive 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I read elsewhere that there were 54 private jets that arrived at the island. Very interesting. Whatever they can do to get rid of Trump is a good thing.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2016/03/09/tim-cook-larry-page-and-elon-musk-attend-meeting.html?ana=RSS_wid

The Bay Area’s top tech minds met secretly with Republican leaders over the weekend to talk about Donald Trump.
    Apple CEO Tim Cook, Google co-founder Larry Page, Napster Facebook investor Sean Parker and Tesla CEO Elon Musk gathered at the American Enterprise Institute’s (AEI) World Forum at Sea Island, an exclusive resort off the coast of Georgia, according to the Huffington Post.

High-level political figures in attendance included Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), political consultant Karl Rove, House Speaker Paul Ryan, Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), Tim Scott (R-S.C.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Ben Sasse (R-Neb.). Billionaire Philip Anschutz and Arthur Sulzberger, the publisher of The New York Times, were also there.

The forum’s conversations focused on Trump’s candidacy — “how this happened, rather than how are we going to stop him,” according to one of the HuffPost’s anonymous sources. Rove gave a presentation regarding focus group findings on Trump. Rove said voters don’t see Trump as “presidential.”
    “There was much unhappiness about his emergence, a good deal of talk, some of it insightful and thoughtful, about why he’s done so well, and many expressions of hope that he would be defeated,” political analyst and commentator Bill Kristol wrote in an emailed report from the event, the article said.
    But Trump wasn’t the only item on the agenda. Sen. Cotton entered into a heated debate with Cook over Apple (NYSE: AAPL)’s encrypted devices. In February, the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles told Apple that it must provide “reasonable technical assistance” to investigators aiming to unlock an iPhone 5C formerly owned by San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook. Trump called for a boycott on Apple products in February.

“Cotton was pretty harsh on Cook,” HuffPost’s source said. “Everyone was a little uncomfortable about how hostile Cotton was.”
    Cook wrote recently that creating a backdoor would open up the iPhone to hackers and breaches of privacy by law enforcement.
    “The FBI may use different words to describe this tool, but make no mistake: Building a version of iOS that bypasses security in this way would undeniably create a backdoor,” Cook wrote. “And while the government may argue that its use would be limited to this case, there is no way to guarantee such control.”

The AEI has held the forum on Sea Island for several years, but the meeting is so secretive that it is difficult to get information on what was discussed due to a no-press policy.
    “The event is private and off-the record, therefore we do not comment further on the content or attendees,” Judy Stecker, a spokeswoman for AEI, told HuffPost. It is “an informal gathering of leading thinkers from all ideological backgrounds to discuss challenges that the United States and the free world face in economics, security and social welfare.”

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Just vote for Hillary in November. That will take care of it.

Then switch parties to swamp the progressives among the Dems. It’s been done before.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

Perhaps they should have talked WITH him instead of about him.. Trump has obviously hit some nerves in his rhetoric that has gotten him a lot of real attention. People are getting really tired of our political “business as usual” way of life. They don’t see any viable alternative.. so they gravitate to Trump.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

I have no doubt of that. Populism in a nutshell.
    I also have no problem with populism. It demonstrates that we still own our elections.

I DO have a problem with Trump, though.
    I once thought GWB was an embarrassment the GOP couldn’t top.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@plasmadrive 124739 wrote:

Perhaps they should have talked WITH him instead of about him.. Trump has obviously hit some nerves in his rhetoric that has gotten him a lot of real attention. People are getting really tired of our political “business as usual” way of life. They don’t see any viable alternative.. so they gravitate to Trump.

I don’t think you can talk to him. He doesn’t strike me as the type that would listen. I think he has the potential to be a disaster in the White House. I don’t know if he’s going to want to stick it out 4 years, let alone 8. I just don’t trust him. I don’t know what he stands for. he’s not conservative by any means. If he wins and the GOP Congress tells him to screw off, then he will work with the Dems and how will that help the country? Once Clinton has it locked up and the democrats unite behind her and they start their full court press attack on him, I think he will be toast. He’s going to lose his mind. Once you get under his skin, he’s a loose cannon.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@adiffer 124742 wrote:

I have no doubt of that. Populism in a nutshell.
    I also have no problem with populism. It demonstrates that we still own our elections.

I DO have a problem with Trump, though.
    I once thought GWB was an embarrassment the GOP couldn’t top.

You aren’t embarrassed about Obama?

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@lc 124746 wrote:

You aren’t embarrassed about Obama?

No. I’ve told you this many times. 8)

You got worked up into a froth early and I never understood why.
    Now, many years later, I look at many outcomes we could only predict back then and can’t imagine why you are still frothy.

Sure. He is arrogant. So am I. Big whoop.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

At least you admit I was right, even before he was elected. Thank you.

The only U.S. President that has embarrassed me is Gerald Ford. You’re a little young to remember him. Gawd he was dumb. But not arrogant.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

I remember Ford mostly because my mother was seriously pissed at Nixon. I was 14 in ’76 and in the Boy Scouts, so with that year, scouts, and my mother, I got a chance to learn some politics. Of course, what I really remember was the election being almost entirely about trust. The Dems trusted Carter while Ford was they guy who pardoned Nixon. I don’t know that my mother ever forgave him for that.

Arrogance doesn’t really bother me, though. If it is fundamentally unsupported (hot air) I’ll ridicule it, but if someone does something to prop it up a little, I’m inclined to let them pontificate and then respectfully argue with them. I don’t think Obama’s arrogance is unsupported, so there you have it. 8)

In terms of outcomes, I think Obama is proving to be a middling president and is probably about as good as he can be considering the times. He’s no LBJ in terms of impact and no Carter in terms of humility, but by any metric I care about, things are getting better. Since I don’t think Presidents have as much positive impact on the world as many believe, I shrug off the improvement as a result of what the people have done. Congress certainly doesn’t get credit for it as they’ve done almost nothing… which I don’t mind all that much.

I sure wish, though, the GOP was offering me a better choice between the evil dude and the bully. I don’t think things have gone wrong enough in the nation to justify such a GOP meltdown. I have to conclude the meltdown is strictly a GOP thing.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@adiffer 124768 wrote:

I sure wish, though, the GOP was offering me a better choice between the evil dude and the bully. I don’t think things have gone wrong enough in the nation to justify such a GOP meltdown. I have to conclude the meltdown is strictly a GOP thing.

So do we all, or many of us, Al. And I’d partially agree that the meltdown is more related to the party than the general population, however as evidenced by Trump, Cruz, and Sanders, there are a lot of pissed off people who don’t feel either party has represented them. You can put a good deal of blame on Obama for Trump. Argue until you’re blue in the face, but had Obama made even the most meager attempt to consider the GOP positions, we likely would not have had the Tea Party uprising nor the extreme polarization. I try to minimize my disgust when watching his sissy walk down an airplane ramp. I am so used to him wagging his finger and scolding Americans for not agreeing with him that it’s just expected behavior. However, I cannot forgive him for acting as a monarch and overlord, and that’s exactly what he’s done, especially with Obamacare which is certainly a net negative in most people’s eyes (a couple of obvious provisions excepted).

Your mom was seriously pissed at Nixon? Al, do you any idea how many people were NOT? I would guess statistically <5%, if that. However, he did learn some of his dirty tricks from JFK, if you follow the history of both. Prior to that race, Nixon was as straight as an arrow. Still, he's a legend of dirty politics during his presidency.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

Yah. Tricky Dick. Her particular gripe after the cover-up, though, was about the damage he did to the office. If Nixon had done what he did a few years earlier, I suspect more politicians would have been shot during the late 60’s. People were beginning to turn their anger elsewhere by the time he left office, but the trust break lasted. It’s one thing to push disagreeable national policy. It’s another to commit well-understood crimes. 8)

Regarding blaming Obama for Trump, I’m tempted to laugh in the face of all who believe that. VERY wishful thinking. Look in the collective mirror to find the problem. You have been allied with some historical zealots. Every political faction that allies with southern confederates eventually breaks up. It happened to the Dems after LBJ stabbed them. It will happen to the GOP. Look among some of the tea party folks and you’ll find these confederates. Personally, I thought they’d vote for Cruz, but seeing as I’m not one it’s not shocking that I got that wrong. They prefer the plain-speaking bully. From where I sit, they might as well bend over now in preparation for what he is going to do to/with them.

We didn’t elect Obama to agree with confederates or even compromise with them much. He was tasked with finding a path toward the more sane among the GOP by those of us who are not Leftists. He failed, but I’m not convinced it is all due to his character flaw. I think your side has been taken over by the lunatics who could spin everything Obama did to disgust you. I think they succeeded so well you can’t consider Obama’s positions without considering Obama the man.

Regarding who started what, I really DO think it comes down to old fashioned confederate racists who could voice their hatred in ways that didn’t look overtly racist. Your party got pwned as a result. Seriously, trace the birth certificate thing back to its start. Somebody didn’t like Obama and spun up a stupid fantasy expanded by many others. Muslim too? Pfft! Just listen to him when he works up a religious fervor.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy