fbpx

Tesla Model 3 announcement

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Ben 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Tesla is officially announcing the model 3. It will be the “affordable” Tesla with a base price of $35,000. The range is expected to be around 200 miles. It will be smaller than the model S. More like a 3 series BMW. Lifetime warranty on the battery. Most models will probably sell for closer to $50K with the added extras. I could see buying one. For all the nice things the Tesla has, it is lacking in basic amenities. There are no rear cup holders or charging outlets. There is also no center console storage. Just a big open area on they floor.

More info from Blomberg

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-29/the-17-secrets-we-think-we-know-about-tesla-s-model-3

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

That 200 mile thing would probably put me off unless it was all local and you could charge at home. I don’t have the patience to stop and wait for charges on a trip. Yours is sure a nice ride though, Doc.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think it’s more of a car for around town or short trips. Longer trips take planning and you don’t get the mileage it says unless you drive the speed limit. 250 miles can become 180 if you drive too fast. That becomes problematic because there aren’t that many super chargers around and you don’t want to have to use a regular charger. That only gets you 4-5 mph an hour. The superchargers will get you a full charge from 0 to 250 in about 45 minutes. I would be curious to see how fast the Model 3 is compared to the S. It will be smaller and weigh less. I think they will be pretty popular. Supposedly 350 people were in line at Tesla in Rocklin this morning. Existing Tesla owners will get first crack at buying them. Chances are you won’t get one for at least 2 years. There are a lot of them in Elk Grove. I’ll bet there are at least 20.

Ben
    Participant
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 7
    • Total Posts - 12

I am a bit worried about the lack of dealers.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

I put my order in after Doc let me drive his.. it was fast.. but about 3 weeks ago I realized it wasn’t practical for what I wanted it for so I canceled out. I was looking forward to playing with it.. now I decided to stick with what I have..

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

The small one is like the Range Rover Discovery I’d guess–kind of a wanna be. Should do OK though in sales. I enjoyed Doc’s too, it’s beautifully built and quick, but not for me. I’m still not sure why people buy Teslas, it certainly isn’t for economizing. I’ll stick with my little Outback for one third the price, better resale, and fun to drive though lacking the cool factor, for now. That might get replaced as my wife wants it, but I’m not ready to go back to a BOF truck/SUV quite yet.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 126823 wrote:

The small one is like the Range Rover Discovery I’d guess–kind of a wanna be. Should do OK though in sales. I enjoyed Doc’s too, it’s beautifully built and quick, but not for me. I’m still not sure why people buy Teslas, it certainly isn’t for economizing. I’ll stick with my little Outback for one third the price, better resale, and fun to drive though lacking the cool factor, for now. That might get replaced as my wife wants it, but I’m not ready to go back to a BOF truck/SUV quite yet.

You’re thinking of the model X. That’s like a mini SUV. It looks like a larger Honda CRX. The model 3 will be a smaller version of the Model S. $35K base price, with $7500 in rebates. By the time you factor in upgrades you might be $35-40K. Only maintenance will be tires. With the regenerative braking the brakes last much longer.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Model S

[IMG]https://www.tesla.com/tesla_theme/assets/img/models/section-initial.jpg?20160601[/IMG]

Model X

[IMG]https://www.tesla.com/tesla_theme/assets/img/modelx/section-hero-cutout.png?20160526[/IMG]

section-allwheel.jpg

Model 3

[IMG]https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/styles/gallery_1x_desktop_1060x600_/public/support/model-3-reservations-faq/m3-faq.jpg?itok=k5t_36ff&timestamp=1459990063[/IMG]

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I think you mean the Honda CR-V. The CR-X was a small, two seater hatch back, almost like a sports car.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Looks great. Price isn’t bad. Should do very well. Wonder what the range is?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 126835 wrote:

Looks great. Price isn’t bad. Should do very well. Wonder what the range is?

200 miles.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy