fbpx
Advertisements

Toby Keith’s Bar and Grill

This topic contains 31 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  gearshark23 4 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Well if you have ever been to the one in Folsom, you will no longer be going. They are closing sometime this week. Conflicting info says they are closed now, but I think the last day will be today. They had a NYE party planned for tonight but has now been cancelled. I wanted to try it out, but everyone said how the food was mediocre, and the service was HORRIBLE. The website says nothing about them closing down, so I wanted to let everyone know incase you liked going there don’t waste a trip out there because it’s gone!

Folsom is a family oriented city I’m surprised it last for 2 years. Rumor has it that a Nordstroms Rack is going in.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

This was not a place that I ever felt the desire to check out, so it doesn’t bother me. I don’t think you can expect good food at any of those celebrity owned places.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I was going to post this, thank you for doing it. We went there 2 times. I was not impressed at all. Food was mediocre at best and service was not very good. I think country music people liked it. I just thought the whole atmosphere was funky and how they had the place set up. First time we went there we went to eat and we ended up just grabbing a spot at the bar because it was a 45 minute wait. Second time we went we walked in and it was a long wait so we walked around the bar a bit, had a drink and left. Why anyone would wait in line to eat there was beyond me.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Yup. I didn’t understand the long wait times when it was hardly crowded. I’ve heard people say they rather go eat at a fast food joint. I’ve had some friends who went for the concerts and they said that was very unorganized.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Never went because I never heard one good comment about it. Folsom could certainly support a country themed restaurant/bar, but it would have to have at least decent food

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 102443 wrote:

Never went because I never heard one good comment about it. Folsom could certainly support a country themed restaurant/bar, but it would have to have at least decent food

Can’t believe you never went there all this time. I agree that Folsom would support something like that. There was no ambience to the place, not that a country bar needs that, but just the whole set up was weird. It was too open for how big it was, there were just not enough tables to eat at. The food was bar food and nothing special.

lakesidebull
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 784
    • Total Posts - 807

Like DocS said, the atmosphere was funky. Even though the Yelp reviews said the service was horrible and the food was so-so, we went to Toby Keith’s a couple months ago after moving to Folsom because my niece wanted to go there. We found the service and food on par with most other chain restaurants, but then again, I set my expectations much lower with chain restaurants. The place reminded me of a TGI Fridays but with a cold stainless steel feel.

After seeing this post, I saw a story on CBS Sacramento and one client’s comment was so idiotic that if that was an example of their customer base, they were doomed from the start. “Tina Van Kestern says an employee told her business was slow. β€œShe said that people in Folsom are family-oriented so they want to go to family, things and this more like uh, you know it’s got alcohol and the singing,” she said.”
    OMG! There was alcohol and singing?! What kind of a morally corrupt hell hole have we moved to???

Bottom line, we won’t miss Toby Keith’s because it’s not the kind of place we typically choose when dining out, and there are plenty of other restaurants in and around the Palladio.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It’s not a family place but it shouldn’t be expected to be because it’s a bar. To her point though it’s not going to diss we’ll because it’s not family friendly.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Lots of places that aren’t family friendly do very well, even in places like Folsom.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Which ones would that be in Folsom? Powerhouse Pub?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

To me, family friendly is some place like TGIFridays, Red Robin, a pizza place….someplace with a chain type menu and lots of sounds and things to look at for kids. Alcohol does not mean it’s not family friendly, but lots of places that are nicer than those places or more bar like can and will survive in places.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

There aren’t that many non family friendly places, except bars or really nice restaurants. Even Toby Keith’s was a place you could take a family, but it was still a giant bar with some tables to eat at. Not a place I would take my kids really. Same with when Strikes had Coaches inside. I think a place like Keith’s that bills itself as a restaurant kind of needs families to survive. It’s not just a bar.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Here’s a little more on the closure from the Sac Biz Journal. Nothing we haven’t already mentioned.

Here’s a quote from the story, “I’ve heard people wonder if Folsom’s Palladio, often considered a high-end shopping destination, could serve as a mecca for country music fans who want to drink beer out of mason jars.
    Folsom isn’t exactly packed with country music venues. In that regard, the Toby Keith venue was either capitalizing on an untapped niche or simply out of touch with reality.”

I think that about sums it up. I’m not sure Folsom is an untapped niche for country music. I know there are fans there as there are anywhere. Just like with the Wrangler here in Elk Grove. Are there enough to keep a place like this going? I would assume they had some pretty high rents there in Palladio.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2015/01/02/toby-keith-i-love-this-bar-closes-reviews.html?ana=RSS_wid&page=all

Yelp reviews for the shuttered Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar & Grill in Folsom suggest the business suffered from shaky service and mediocre food.

On Tuesday, a restaurant manager confirmed the location at Folsom’s Palladio at Broadstone would close. The manager did not provide a closing date. It continued to operate that evening, but showed no signs of activity 24 hours later. On Wednesday night, the restaurant was empty with no apparent note on the door.
    As the Business Journal reported in November, abrupt closures are common in the restaurant world.

But I’d heard rumors of the Folsom restaurant’s possible closure since last March. Palladio officials and the company that operates the Toby Keith restaurants have yet to comment on the Folsom location.
    In the absence of an official explanation, it’s easy to speculate about some possible scenarios prompting the closure of the Folsom restaurant, which opened in 2012 and also was a live-music venue.
    The business has 320 reviews on Yelp, 134 of which include just one star. Seventy-four reviews include two stars. Common complaints include the service (“horrible service, slower than molasses”) and the quality of the food (“the food isn’t great…it’s just edible”).

The quality of the food is the No. 1 response in an informal Business Journal poll about possible reasons that the business closed.
    Sure, people might be more likely to write Yelp reviews when they’re angry. The restaurant has 35 five-star reviews, including one that says, “The food was good! Not sure why it has such bad reviews.”

It’s possible that location played a role in the restaurant’s closure. I’ve heard people wonder if Folsom’s Palladio, often considered a high-end shopping destination, could serve as a mecca for country music fans who want to drink beer out of mason jars.
    Folsom isn’t exactly packed with country music venues. In that regard, the Toby Keith venue was either capitalizing on an untapped niche or simply out of touch with reality.

Also, some reports suggest the Toby Keith chain has problems beyond the Folsom restaurant. In September, CultureMap Houston wrote that the Arizona-based company that operates the Toby Keith restaurants “has appeared in at least 13 legal cases across the country…most of which allege breach of contract.”
    But Toby Keith locations in other cities apparently still have fans. In 2012, Time magazine listed the brand among its top 10 celebrity restaurants.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I just never got the placement at Palladio. Toby Keith’s just seemed really out of place there. I guess it was.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@tomwaltman 102555 wrote:

I just never got the placement at Palladio. Toby Keith’s just seemed really out of place there. I guess it was.

Yeah I had that same vibe. It’s an upscale center and you had this bar there that was not anywhere near upscale. I think that as much as anything hurt it. But obviously the food and service were big too. I would rather go to McDonalds.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

I wonder if that specific restaurant is that popular. I was just at a Lucille’s while in Rancho Cucamonga and the line was out the door as well as the restaurant across the parking lot while Toby Keith place directly across the street was nearly empty. I actually walked over and looked in wondering why it was so empty?? So it seems more than one of his eateries are not doing well and this was prime eating time this past Sat.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

I’ve eaten there before and didn’t have a complaint about the food or the service. Previously I’ve been to the one in Mesa AZ and the food and service was good there also. May have been that it was out of place in that location. I didn’t know Lucille’s was up there, I’ll have to check it out next time I am in the area.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Ila said she was in Rancho Cucamonga, which is in S. Ca.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I’m always amazed at how well Lucille’s does, because in the BBQ community it’s regarded as terrible, completely fake BBQ, which it is. But, it’s got that family, Red Robin style vibe, and it’s a chain, so the universe of likely patrons is much larger than for the typical indie BBQ joint. That is the magic of chains and name familiarity–it does work and chain volumes are usually much higher than one offs. Dicky’s BBQ works for partially the same reason, but also because they don’t pretend to be real and their prices and food delivery systems are close to Subway. Dicky’s does a good job for what they are, ask Newmom πŸ˜‰

Usually I’ll try a new place, but with absolutely zero positives heard about Toby Keith’s, I never went in the place, why would I? What was the menu like?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It was bar food. Pretty basic. Burgers, fish and chips. Price was good.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I couldn’t imagine why I would have ever gone to Toby Keith’s. And I like the guy and his music. I just never had any reason to think that a celebrity “bar and grill” on steroids was a place I would want to be for me or my family.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

They did have live country music there. I think that’s an attraction to some.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Maybe it was just a bad fit. Most of the barely legal kids up here listen to new country music because it’s little more than rock morphed for the crossover market. But, if they want to dress up and dance to country, they’ll go to Stoney’s. Plus, for that same group Sutter Street is immensely popular.

They probably located at Palladio because at the time Harry Elliott was bleeding about $20,000 per day in cash and probably built the store for them which most developers would not do at that time. I don’t know if he’ll ever come out on Palladio but it’s certainly turned the corner and it’s a nice place to go. Not much in the way of good restaurants but Blue Nami and Chicago Fire seem to do well. We go there for Whole Paycheck and the theaters and that’s about it.

cayers
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 5
    • Total Posts - 5

Darn…I always wanted to try this place…

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

They should just put a Lucille’s out there so I don’t have to drive to Rocklin.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

@newmom 102733 wrote:

Ila said she was in Rancho Cucamonga, which is in S. Ca.

They do have one in Rocklin, which would explain why I didn’t see it near Toby Keiths.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@gearshark23 102763 wrote:

They should just put a Lucille’s out there so I don’t have to drive to Rocklin.

I’m guessing you’re not serious, but if you are why not try some of the newer, many somewhat nouvelle, BBQ places around East Sac and Midtown? Far better I’m sure, unless you really want to drive 45 minutes for braised beef with chemical smoke flavoring sprayed on. Do avoid Sandra Dees though—not good at all.

I keep meaning to do it, just haven’t. We go to O’Connor’s in Orangevale maybe once a month–they do a spectacular job on brisket and turkey, not so much with pork dishes. That is a long drive for you though, probably not worth it. Try midtown.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

What about the new bbq place, Fahrenheit 350 or something like that. It’s on Folsom Blvd in what was Bo Jangkes yeas ago.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Want to try it. I like to try them all. Usually they will have one or two specialties and will tell you if you ask. I really like what some of the Asians are doing with BBQ now too. Very subtle Asian flavor, they can be really good at it and don’t over sauce everything.

F250–which is the top temp range for BBQ πŸ˜‰

Do you miss Bo Jangles? πŸ˜‰

I got to know the owner. He was a good businessman but unrealistic in his expectations for occupancy. Odd guy, but always cracking some silly idea to get a laugh.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@lc 102784 wrote:

I’m guessing you’re not serious, but if you are why not try some of the newer, many somewhat nouvelle, BBQ places around East Sac and Midtown? Far better I’m sure, unless you really want to drive 45 minutes for braised beef with chemical smoke flavoring sprayed on. Do avoid Sandra Dees though—not good at all.

I keep meaning to do it, just haven’t. We go to O’Connor’s in Orangevale maybe once a month–they do a spectacular job on brisket and turkey, not so much with pork dishes. That is a long drive for you though, probably not worth it. Try midtown.

I was being sarcastic, I usually do italics or red but I didn’t know if anyone would catch on to it.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

LC, we only went to Lucille’s because they could accommodate a party of 13 and have a large family style meal which was great for all of us since their prices were off the charts. It actually ended of being about $15.00 per person not including tip instead of $25-35 range per person and we did get a great variety.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@gearshark23 102434 wrote:

Well if you have ever been to the one in Folsom, you will no longer be going. They are closing sometime this week. Conflicting info says they are closed now, but I think the last day will be today. They had a NYE party planned for tonight but has now been cancelled. I wanted to try it out, but everyone said how the food was mediocre, and the service was HORRIBLE. The website says nothing about them closing down, so I wanted to let everyone know incase you liked going there don’t waste a trip out there because it’s gone!

Folsom is a family oriented city I’m surprised it last for 2 years. Rumor has it that a Nordstroms Rack is going in.

You were right. Nordstroms Rack is going in there.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Yup, the community of Folsom is actually NOT happy about this. I’m not happy about this because now my wife will want to go while we are out and about in Folsom. LOL

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.