Upgrading to iPhone7?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I guess we will, come the end of the year, mainly because it doesn’t cost hardly anything, if anything at all, given the resale of the existing iPhones. Otherwise, aside from a better camera, bluetooth headphones, and more storage I don’t see much to excite me.
    I have a good sealed waterproof bag I use when I’m fishing from the float tube or boat, so the water resistance doesn’t matter to me. I’m using my phone a lot more now than previously for communications and music storage as I’m either in the field or on the road most of the time, so I might look at the big one this time, but it still seems large.

You say?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Of course! 🙂
    I usually only upgrade every two years, so it has been two years. I agree, not much to be excited about. They are just basic improvements. The waterproof aspect is important because of accidents I think. It’s nice to know if I slip and fall in the water that my phone will be okay. My very first iphone, the first edition fell into the water at the beach and got messed up. it was in the water maybe 3 seconds. We were in Maui and I reached down to grab my son who was kind of caught in a little wave and my phone fell out into water about 1 foot deep. Last week we were at Truckee and on a hiking trail. We brought our dogs with us. We came to creek crossing using a 2 x 8 and the I started crossing pulling one of the dogs and she pulled back and almost pulled me into the creek. It wasn’t deep, maybe 3 feet, but likely my phone would get wet.

The bad things is no subsidized phones. Now you pay full price. Of course you can sell the old one for more now too. The 32GB is going to be too small. I have a 64GB and have maybe 15GB left over. I could delete or move some photos, but I like having them on there. The 32GB is $649, 128GB is $749. I ordered that one. I went with the upgrade program. You pay $36 a month and you get a new phone every year. Also comes with Apple Care too.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

My phone is almost two years old now and has been acting weird lately. It’s keeps getting stuck and won’t switch between apps, or sometimes allow me to shut things down. I do need more storage as well. However, I dislike having to pay monthly now for the phone. That annoys me, so I will probably hold on to my current phone a while longer, until I’m too annoyed by it.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

I only have the 5s. The past month, the battery has been draining so quickly I can’t even keep a charge longer than 2 hours WITHOUT using the phone at all. it literally drains before your very eyes. A ten minute call and it drops from 100% to 30% battery. I think apple built that into the software update so that I would be forced to buy a new phone. I don’t know about getting the newest one, but I DO need to get something that will hold a charge long enough to be useful.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

My phone doesn’t last nearly as long either but that’s because I use it a ton. I use it for jogging so it’s tracking that and playing music. Plus I use it for my Fitbit. I have to give it at least one extra full charge a day, usually two.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

If you have the 5s that means it’s probably close to 3 years old. That’s a long time.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I didn’t know about the new purchase and upgrade system. Is this iPhone only, or does it include all smartphones? I’d move to an Android system if there’s an advantage as I have no interest in making monthly payments for the privilege of having a new phone every year which I don’t need or want. It looks like the agreement is between Apple and the user rather than the provider?

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

You still paid for the phone even with subsidized contacts by paying more for service. Now they show you the darn phone is $700 and people freak out. I’ll stick to my Android $150 phone with $35/mo prepaid service.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@kindrlindr 127607 wrote:

I only have the 5s. The past month, the battery has been draining so quickly I can’t even keep a charge longer than 2 hours WITHOUT using the phone at all. it literally drains before your very eyes. A ten minute call and it drops from 100% to 30% battery. I think apple built that into the software update so that I would be forced to buy a new phone. I don’t know about getting the newest one, but I DO need to get something that will hold a charge long enough to be useful.

If you mean an S5 andriod, there is a lot of chatter about the software update causing rapid battery drain.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@bainc 127612 wrote:

You still paid for the phone even with subsidized contacts by paying more for service. Now they show you the darn phone is $700 and people freak out. I’ll stick to my Android $150 phone with $35/mo prepaid service.

Well, maybe, we’ll see at the first of the year when my contract comes up. I’ll be surprised if there is a decrease in monthly service fees.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 127612 wrote:

I think that is inaccurate. Monthly service didn’t go up with subsidized phones. It’s not dropping now.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@plasmadrive 127613 wrote:

If you mean an S5 andriod, there is a lot of chatter about the software update causing rapid battery drain.

No. She means iPhone 5S.

You could buy the new Samsung and have the battery catch fire. 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 127611 wrote:

I didn’t know about the new purchase and upgrade system. Is this iPhone only, or does it include all smartphones? I’d move to an Android system if there’s an advantage as I have no interest in making monthly payments for the privilege of having a new phone every year which I don’t need or want. It looks like the agreement is between Apple and the user rather than the provider?

Not sure. On if it’s all smart phones or just iPhones. You don’t have to go with the upgrade program. You can buy it outright.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@EGL Admin 127615 wrote:

I think that is inaccurate. Monthly service didn’t go up with subsidized phones. It’s not dropping now.

For years and years phones were free or deeply discounted (iphones for $200) with a 2 year contract. That means you’re paying for the phone by inflated monthly service costs. Apple was still receiving full price for their phones. I switched to prepaid service about 6 or 7 years ago where I bought the phone but paid less for service. Now everybody is doing the same thing so people know what they’re actually paying for the phone.

One plus about splurging for the new iphone is the old ones hold their value so that offsets the upfront cost.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

If you are on a plan with AT&T, your monthly costs did not go down when AT&T eliminated a 2 year contract and the receipt of a phone for the discounted price of $200.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

We jumped away from verizon contract land almost 2 yrs ago but then we all got new phones. We went from 2 smart and 1 dumb phone to 4 smart (but one cheapo) and paid monthly on the phones for about the same price as previous contract. Where we will see the biggest difference is if we keep the phones past when they are paid for because our bill will decrease by about 60 percent. With verizon once out of contract (ie subsidized phones paid for) the cost did not go down.

No idea why the title of my post is a frown. ??

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@joy 127624 wrote:

No idea why the title of my post is a frown. ??

Karma. 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 127621 wrote:

For years and years phones were free or deeply discounted (iphones for $200) with a 2 year contract. That means you’re paying for the phone by inflated monthly service costs. Apple was still receiving full price for their phones. I switched to prepaid service about 6 or 7 years ago where I bought the phone but paid less for service. Now everybody is doing the same thing so people know what they’re actually paying for the phone.

One plus about splurging for the new iphone is the old ones hold their value so that offsets the upfront cost.

You’re paying for the data plan which is why it increased per month. The monthly prices never dropped after 2 years. Normally I would I pay $299 for the subsidized iPhone and keep it for 2 years.

You are correct, now that the new phones are more expensive, it will increase the value of the old phones. We will have two iPhone 5’s and one iPhone 6 to sell by next week.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@kindrlindr 127607 wrote:

My iphones all started losing battery power after a few years. But we do use them several hours a day for hundreds of days.

But have you tried using the battery power saving mode. Or closing your apps? Turning off Bluetooth and wifi when not in use. That seems to help at times

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

I have the iPhone 6. It is still in pretty good condition. I will keep it another year if I can.

I still like to Auxillary option. Have Aux in my car.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 127628 wrote:

You’re paying for the data plan which is why it increased per month. The monthly prices never dropped after 2 years. Normally I would I pay $299 for the subsidized iPhone and keep it for 2 years.

You are correct, now that the new phones are more expensive, it will increase the value of the old phones. We will have two iPhone 5’s and one iPhone 6 to sell by next week.

I always feel the need to keep one old phone around for emergencies. Six months ago my daughter dropped her almost 2 year old, $29 iphone 5c and shattered the screen. It wasn’t worth the cost of repairing the glass, however, she HAD to have a phone for her science class in middle school-her class was demoing a new, online only program there were no text books for, and since it was testing time too, there were no Chromebooks to use. She couldn’t see the material very well through the cracks on the glass, and she was a few weeks short of the upgrade, plus we had told her we’d get her a new 6s if she kept her straight As all through middle school. There were 6 weeks left in the term and we were not going to get her a 6s until we had her report card in hand (she would have gotten something else that wasn’t so expensive tho). Thankfully we still had my husband’s old 5s around. It had battery issues, but she could plug it in during class if needed. Had we not kept it around, she would have had a problem in class.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We always keep one too. Our 12 year old son is getting one of our iphone 6’s. He will get it activated at the end of 7th grade but can use it now as an iPod or whatever if he has wifi. Then he will use that for a year or two at least.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@CJay916 127630 wrote:

I have the iPhone 6. It is still in pretty good condition. I will keep it another year if I can.

I still like to Auxillary option. Have Aux in my car.

What is the benefit of the AUX option? I have one in my car too and have no idea what I’d use it for.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

If your car doesn’t have bluetooth, you can listen to the music on your phone that way. My last car didn’t have bluetooth but had Aux, so hooked up my phone with a cable to play my music through the car speakers.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Got it. So I guess it would be handy for a device that didn’t have Bluetooth as well.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I use the aux option on a couple of our cars. Only the Tesla has bluetooth for music.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@lc 127646 wrote:

Got it. So I guess it would be handy for a device that didn’t have Bluetooth as well.

Yes, the sounds from phone calls would come through the car speakers.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

My truck has bluetooth for hands free phone calls, but doesn’t connect to the radio via bluetooth, strange. I understand many new TV’s, home audio systems, Car radios have bluetooth. But there are many radios still in existence that do not. I just think they are forcing the the bluetooth only on us right now. Eventually bluetooth will be the norm. Right now, its just too early. They had nothing else new about their phone so they are trying to push this and make themselves ‘Pioneers” of bluetooth. It was a little pre-mature in my opinion.

I have bluetooth earbuds that I use. They are great. But when the battery dies on the bluetooth ones, I plug in my old earbuds. Now I won’t be able to use them until I charge them. And great… 1 more thing I have to charge….

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 127652 wrote:

Yes, the sounds from phone calls would come through the car speakers.

It doesn’t work that way on all of them though. On my 2007 Tundra, it will play music and it will play the map sounds but not from phone calls.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@CJay916 127658 wrote:

My truck has bluetooth for hands free phone calls, but doesn’t connect to the radio via bluetooth, strange. I understand many new TV’s, home audio systems, Car radios have bluetooth. But there are many radios still in existence that do not. I just think they are forcing the the bluetooth only on us right now. Eventually bluetooth will be the norm. Right now, its just too early. They had nothing else new about their phone so they are trying to push this and make themselves ‘Pioneers” of bluetooth. It was a little pre-mature in my opinion.

I have bluetooth earbuds that I use. They are great. But when the battery dies on the bluetooth ones, I plug in my old earbuds. Now I won’t be able to use them until I charge them. And great… 1 more thing I have to charge….

Our Infiniti, which is a 2014 has blue tooth for phone calls, but not for music. For that we have to connect the cable. It has a USB port so we use the iPhone cable and it charges and connects for the music.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@EGL Admin 127661 wrote:

Our Infiniti, which is a 2014 has blue tooth for phone calls, but not for music. For that we have to connect the cable. It has a USB port so we use the iPhone cable and it charges and connects for the music.

I have the 2007 Tundra as well. No USB, only Aux cord for music. But has Bluetooth for phone calls.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

That’s one thing that’s nice about newer vehicles, most of them are pretty well equipped for the phones. My Subie will connect to the iPhone with Bluetooth or cable, music, phone, text. I always just keep it plugged in for charging. The Subie internal system for the iPhone isn’t that good, so I just use the iPhone settings. I get voice texts through the speakers when I’m driving–visual when I’m not moving. I respond through Siri. It works quite well. It doesn’t always connect though, even with cable. Annoying, but just a couple of pushes on the nav screen does it.

The one thing that I’ve learned is that different nav screens react differently to polarized sunglasses. I cannot read anything on a Toyota screen, which is one reason I passed on the 4Runner. The Subie works fine for me. When shooting clays, I can’t wear them as they totally block out the clay. My shooting friends think it’s quite humorous watching me with the shotgun ready, and after a few clays have been cut loose and I’m still waiting I hear about it. Solved with driving glasses and some yellow shooting glasses.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@lc 127682 wrote:

The one thing that I’ve learned is that different nav screens react differently to polarized sunglasses. I cannot read anything on a Toyota screen, which is one reason I passed on the 4Runner.

That’s interesting. My prescription Oakleys are polarized and I can see my Nav screen just fine. Maybe the newer ones are different? Mine is 2007. I noticed that on some screen protectors, etc…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I should have my new iPhone in less than 48 hours. UPS is delivering it which is good because they always come around 9:30 am. FedEx is all over the place on times. I’m not expecting too much. It’s just like the 6, but a little better and faster.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@CJay916 127685 wrote:

That’s interesting. My prescription Oakleys are polarized and I can see my Nav screen just fine. Maybe the newer ones are different? Mine is 2007. I noticed that on some screen protectors, etc…

I don’t know, could be the grind. I’m due for a replacement, going with Costas with copper tint this time, prescription. Mine are handy for intense sun, but pretty dark otherwise.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy