fbpx

Valentine’s Contest

This topic contains 70 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bainc 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970
    mrskays.jpg

Today (Thursday) and Friday we will be doing our Valentine’s Contest. We have some great prizes lined up!

From Kolleen Powers and Etsy we have a snap bracelet and earring set with 4 sets of designs

il_570xN.695504878_tq3b.jpg

From Jenn Oates on Etsy we have a canvas draw string bag, similar to the one in the photo below but with a heart on it instead of an S

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1831[/ATTACH]

From Michelle Angell and ThirtyOne an all day organizing tote

4777990A0000_large.jpg

From Mrs. Kay’s Sweet Treats a $20 gift basket

Please visit the websites of the above prize donors and order something for yourself or a loved one. Just click on link on their name and check it out.

We are also giving away a $50 gift certificate to Silva’s Sheldon Inn.

We will have 2 winners. One winner will get the first 3 prizes and the other winner will get the Silva’s gift certificate and the Mrs. Kay’s gift basket.

So how will the contest work? Well that is a great question! The contest will be today and Friday. You have to post on this thread something about Valentine’s Day. Either about someone special you want to give this to or something about Valentine’s. Not just the “I love prizes, or great gifts stuff.” Need to post a little more than that. We will draw two winners on Saturday morning at random from those who posted on this thread topic. Sounds easy enough, right?

mottabellisimo.jpg

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

What are your plans for Valentine’s Day? For parents with kids, do you get a babysitter and go out, or do you do something special at home? My husband and I rarely go out on Valentine’s Day anymore-we just feel like things are unnecessarily crowded. We always do a special dinner at home and exchange gifts and cards, but will go out on another night instead. Our youngest goes to bed relatively early though so we are able eat after he does to bed to enjoy a nice, quiet dinner without jumping up to refill water glasses and listen to complaints about the food.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Depends. Sometimes we fix a nice dinner, sometimes we go out. We are fixing dinner this year, but may go out Friday night instead. Nice thing is that our kids are old enough now to be home alone for a bit. We still have my mother in law come over if we are gone for more than a couple of hours.

enags
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 67
    • Total Posts - 73

long ago, after a year of dating my wife to be, i didn’t even think about valentines. i was so busy with school, friends, sports, etc. so when the day came and passed she brought up the subject about why not even a card. she brought to my attention that valentines was a day to recognize how special your significant other is. it doesn’t have to be a big extravagant planned event. just a token what we mean to each other.
    to this day i have never missed a valentine or birthday for my wife. i did forget about our 20th anniversary. of course, she did also. it dawned on us while the family was driving in the car. man, i got away with that one.

auntiestace
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 44
    • Total Posts - 44

I would give the gifts to my ex mother-in law. She has been a wonderful grandma to my two boys and is and had always been very supportive of me. She still sends me birthday and holiday cards and is very loving whenever I see her. She is a very special woman and very deserving of this gift.
    I hope that everyone enjoys their special day, as I will with my kids & husband. Happy Valentines Day!!!❤️

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

I just got back from a four day business trip. I found four Valentines cards in my suitcase. Each one was marked “open Monday, etc”. It made each day of the trip special. I have a wonderful wife that I would love to take to Silva’s. Finger crossed.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Enags, you are a lucky man for not getting killed on the 20th anniversary.

I think it’s kind of sad that some couples don’t at least acknowledge Valentine’s and their anniversary. It’s only two days, but there is still some significance to them and at least worth a card.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

We will probably end up doing something at home. Don’t want to deal with all the crowds and go out another night. It’s our 2nd year with a kid. Our dinner at home will include our kid, but then “going out” dinner will be just us and have my son stay with one of our parents.

I don’t go all out with buying stuff I know people that spend 500+ on Valentines Day. I think that that special person should get gifts, flowers, etc throughout the year. I usually surprise my wife a couple times a year.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@egdad 105205 wrote:

I just got back from a four day business trip. I found four Valentines cards in my suitcase. Each one was marked “open Monday, etc”. It made each day of the trip special. I have a wonderful wife that I would love to take to Silva’s. Finger crossed.

That’s great. It’s those little things that I think mean more than the big gifts. My wife and I leave notes for each other all the time. I went to Palm Springs last year and she made a couple of cards and put them in my suit case. When she goes out of town she will put notes under my pillow so I see them when I go to bed and I put notes in her suitcase or in her car.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

enags, my wife and I forgot our anniversary a couple of years ago. Neither one remembered until about a week later, when I looked at the calendar. Life moves too fast.

Neither my wife or I make a big deal out of Valentine’s Day. Every day is Valentine’s Day for us… Okay, you can stop laughing now. Really.

It would be nice to take my wife out to dinner. We are at the point with the kids where we get to go out alone again. Just the two of us. Just typing that seems odd…

Julia
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 61
    • Total Posts - 65

We learned years ago that dining out on Valentine’s Day is a waste of money with the inflated prices. Instead, we find another night to do something special. But we always acknowledge the day with cards, flowers, maybe a little chocolate. After 25+ years of marriage, it never gets old.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

Valentines day is really every day at our place…. My Valentine gets her special day EVERY DAY. She is not special only on a certain day.. so I treat her like every day is Valentine’s day with her as the the special Valentine du jour. As such I am ALWAYS looking for special things and times for us. Dinner together is one of our favorite times… every time..

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

No valentine, so V-Day passes largely unnoticed most of the time. But I agree that it doesn’t have to be a big deal, just something sincere.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I usually cook something–whatever the request. This year it’s lobster and clams, twice baked potato, and my *incredible* bbq green beans with bacon. Bottle of nice wine, maybe a small dessert. Got two dozen roses coming too. I love prizes! Great gifts! Thanks Doc! Nickleback sucks!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

(Taking LC’s name out of the raffle.)

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

My 16 year wedding anniversary is Valentine’s day and I will have to say I have the greatest hubby ever. He is taking me to see 50 Shades of Grey. Can’t wait.

Claudw2
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 8
    • Total Posts - 8

I used to work at a flower shop and saw people spend over $100 for flowers and gifts at valentines. I thought that was crazy since the flowers would wilt soon. Yes, it’s a nice romantic gesture but so is a homemade card with personalized coupons you make yourself. The memories from fulfilling the coupons will last longer ❤️

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

@ila 105218 wrote:

My 16 year wedding anniversary is Valentine’s day and I will have to say I have the greatest hubby ever. He is taking me to see 50 Shades of Grey. Can’t wait.

Lucky you, “that sounds like a awesome gift”

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

My husband & I have shared beautiful valentines day dinners in Monterey when we lived close by to that town. I find now we like to stay home and avoid the crowds since moving to E.G. Valentines Day is so pretty with all of the pink and flowers. I like receiving cute small little pretty trinkets. but the best of the best is when its a homemade gift or card. My husband did promise me a rose garden. I think I am calling on that gift this year 🙂

MooseMom
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 254
    • Total Posts - 353

When my kids were much smaller, I would get each a cute stuffed critter in the theme du jour. My 81 year old mom still sends valentines to all of the kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids! Usually she bundles the families together in one envelope so it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, but still, it’s a neat thought. I will likely bake something fun for the three of us to share for dinner, unless (hint, hint) someone wants to take Mom out for dinner…

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Thank you Adamsmommy, it will be great, and I will give him some episodes from the movie as his gift:):):)

Leonore
    Participant
    • Topics - 14
    • Replies - 74
    • Total Posts - 88

Valentine’s Day is just a time for a little extra acknowledgement of the Valentine you love all year long. Our Valentine’s celebration will be two days long this year: DH is taking Friday off work and we’re going to see Fifty Shades of Gray early in the day, then stopping at Baja Burrito to pick up Colin’s Valentine Special Carnitas dinner to have with a special dessert I will make tonight. Then on VD (!) we will go to McConnells Winery for their special wine tasting. And, hey, if I win, we could make it three days long and go to Silva’s on Sunday!

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Go for the rose garden viola! I still had roses on my bushes today, and that makes it much easier on V-Day! Just in case your husband needed some motivation to get it done…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Trim your bush Tom

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

LOL! Not until after this weekend! And DUDE!, don’t be commenting on my bushes. They are doing just fine. 😉

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Do a little manscaping fella! 🙂

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Funny, I just saw the SBJ article on the waxing place in midtown Sac that is wanting male customers. I ain’t gonna be one of them. I don’t have enough hair left to let them take any away!

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

I don’t go out for Valentines Day, we just pick another day at random to go out.

Years ago my wife and I were in Las Vegas for a week, right before Valentines Day. She asked me where are we going for Valentines Day? I told her we should just stay at home since we have been eating out all week and she asked me “What are you making ME for dinner?” I thought about it for a split second and replied “Chili cheese dogs!” Guess what we have every year now?

kermit
    Participant
    • Topics - 20
    • Replies - 62
    • Total Posts - 82

We don’t usually do much for Valentine’s Day as the hubby’s birthday is on the 15th. I always tell him if he messes up Valentine’s Day then he gets nada for his birthday but it never works out that way. We are really low key people so usually we have dinner at home and watch a funny movie together. Really if you are in a great relationship you do need one day a year to remind you – you make it count every day of the year.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Tom your roses need to sleep, you got a busy job ahead of you !

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

They are half done now. The rest will sleep on Sunday. ��

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

I’m looking forward to some flowers. I’m not sure much for the greeting card — I always feel like it is wasteful for some reason. I’d rather get a handwritten note. Wouldn’t mind dinner at Silva’s either. 🙂

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

…….Looking for the edit button since apparently I’m not sure much for the grammar tonight. Where did it go?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@joy 105301 wrote:

…….Looking for the edit button since apparently I’m not sure much for the grammar tonight. Where did it go?

I took away the edit function on the Contest forum because of the contests so people couldn’t change their answers to our how well do you know Elk Grove contests. I can edit it for you, but you might not like that. :sarcastic

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

(Control freak!)

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

3 years ago we were blessed with a little boy on Feb 14th. Now it’s his birthday. To us our anniversary is much more important than Valentine’s day. That’s when we plan a weekend getaway w/o kids. On Valentine’s day we won’t go out due with all the couples going out. We’ll pick another day to go out but I’ll still come through with flowers on the actual day. Haven’t been to Silva’s in years. Look forward to having my name pulled. 🙂

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@EGL Admin 105303 wrote:

I took away the edit function on the Contest forum because of the contests so people couldn’t change their answers to our how well do you know Elk Grove contests. I can edit it for you, but you might not like that. :sarcastic

Also, did you just call your loyal customers a bunch of cheaters?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I think he only meant the non-loyal ones that only come around periodically, right?

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Valentines Day is too commercial to me. Definitely not my favorite holiday. In fact, all this mom/wife wants for Valentine’s Day is someone to know how to aim in the toilet once and a while, and/or wipe the seat if they miss. Is that too much to ask? 😉

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@kindrlindr 105311 wrote:

Valentines Day is too commercial to me. Definitely not my favorite holiday. In fact, all this mom/wife wants for Valentine’s Day is someone to know how to aim in the toilet once and a while, and/or wipe the seat if they miss. Is that too much to ask? 😉

If you haven’t taught them by now, it’s not happening!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@newmom 105310 wrote:

I think he only meant the non-loyal ones that only come around periodically, right?

What she said. 🙂

No, I was just thinking ahead that someone might change their answers and then say they had it first. Got to CMA.

Klwkatie
    • Topics - 4
    • Replies - 39
    • Total Posts - 43

We are doing homemade heart pizza and a red drink. My girls are almost 2 and 4 and we’ve been doing homemade pizza almost weekly. They love helping in the kitchen — and this will be fun to create together! Doesn’t sound like much, but we will make it special 🙂

lizzie
    • Topics - 17
    • Replies - 650
    • Total Posts - 667

In preparation of Valentine’s Day I plan in advance and mail the small kids in the family Valentine Cards.. I do not get to see them very often. I have heard from their parents that they loved getting remembered. I will make my husband his favorite pie Lemon Meringue. The day after we will buy the candy since it is 1/2 off.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Doc, I don’t have a penis. I can’t teach them.

Birdofparadise
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 82
    • Total Posts - 83

Valentine’s Day celebration for us includes our two kids, aged 12 & 10. On the actual holiday, we have a nice dinner at home with a home-baked dessert, and then a quiet dinner out for just my hubby and I, either the day before or the day after. I sure would love to have that dinner at Silva’s this year! 🙂 I’m especially looking forward to this year’s holiday just because of the three day weekend! The beautiful weather will allow for some terrific outdoor adventures with the fam this weekend as well!

Happy Valentine’s Day weekend to all!

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Kinder, you have enough laying around the house to use. Just grab one and show them how it’s done!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@kindrlindr 105321 wrote:

Shouldn’t have to! Make them clean it up. If they have to start cleaning it, they will be a lot more careful.

shelley95758
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 11

I like making my kids feel special. I don’t just like to give them their favorite chocolates, I also like to give them something else… usually some cute new jammies. This year was a different, it is my daughter’s first year away at school, so I wanted to make sure and send something extra special. I hope my kids and husband know how much I love them.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Looks like about 25 entrants so far. Good odds to win two prizes. You can only win once. 🙂

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

@kindrlindr 105321 wrote:

EXACTLY. I tried, but finally had to say to my son’s dad “YOU explain it to him.” Evidently cleaning up his misses was more than the father thought the son should do, however.

(He did figure it out, for which I’m sure his lovely wife thanks me for)

Nice hijack, innint it?

katierph
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 3
    • Total Posts - 3

I was hoping to surprise my husband with a babysitter and nice dinner out, but 3 out of 4 of us are sick 🙁
    I’m not usually too sentimental about Valentine’s day, but it is a good motivator to spend some much needed date time with my husband.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I do random “inspections” of my kids’ bathroom. Any pee on or around the outside of the toilet or floor and I hand my 7 yo son the can of anti bacterial wipes. Our other child is a girl, so I know it’s not her.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

You should have a talk with my daughter. She can rival the boy. I don’t quite understand how yet, but she has special talents.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Does she know she needs to sit down?

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

“I do random “inspections” of my kids’ bathroom. Any pee on or around the outside of the toilet or floor and I hand my 7 yo son the can of anti bacterial wipes. Our other child is a girl, so I know it’s not her.”

Sounds like an easy way for your daughter to get her brother in trouble

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1832[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1832[/ATTACH]

I got home from work and finished the Valentine canvas tote, so good luck to the winner!

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Great…twice and sideways. I guess that’s what I get for doing it on my phone!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Got the Silva’s gift card this evening. Had dinner there with my wife. Food was excellent as always. I had the Filet and she had the Sea bass. Both were really, really good.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

You know it’s all about that bass.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Ahem! You act like I haven’t been down this road before. I have been a mom of boys for 26 years straight. Of course I make them clean it up. It always turns into an argument of WHO did it, so I make them choose either the right or left side and work on it. Its disgusting and I am sick of it. Just once, like on a holiday. I would like to wake up to a clean bathroom without me having to be the one to tell them to clean it. BTW, I make them ALL share one bathroom and I get the master bath now all to myself. I am OVER it.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Wildoats, that tote is adorable!

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Thank you! I hope whoever wins it likes it!

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Wildoates, it really IS adorable:)

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

It’s in the dryer at the moment…canvas just doesn’t smell all that good until you wash out all the starch. I’m glad you like it!

All the kids on my Christmas list got filled totes in December, and it was so much fun to see my son’s three adorable nephews open theirs to see what goodies Oncle Mala’s strange non-Norwegian-speaking Mamma brought from California. This one’s much larger, though.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Here is a video of our two winners. Congrats to our two winners! I will contact you and see if I can drop these off today.

[video=youtube_share;7wg5VnfeuF4]http://youtu.be/7wg5VnfeuF4[/video]

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@EGL Admin 105398 wrote:

Here is a video of our two winners. Congrats to our two winners! I will contact you and see if I can drop these off today.

[video=youtube_share;7wg5VnfeuF4]http://youtu.be/7wg5VnfeuF4[/video]

What program was that for the drawing? I like it.. though it clearly didn’t give the correct winner.. :wink2:

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It’s an app called Lucky Raffle

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Yay, congrats to the winners! Doc just came by to pick up my offering, and I hope you enjoy it!

Now back to housework. ��

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Congrats to the winners:)

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Very cute! Congrats to the winners!!

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

That is such a cute tote bag. and I love that app, its so very cool. congrats to the two winners 🙂

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

@plasmadrive 105399 wrote:

What program was that for the drawing? I like it.. though it clearly didn’t give the correct winner.. :wink2:

Looks like the correct winner to me 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy