What your fav. holiday side dish?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Tracinae 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

What is your favorite holiday dinner side dish? I think mine is dressing (not made in the bird)
    Hope you all have a wonderful blessed Christmas, Kwanza, or Hanukkah, Which ever you celebrate 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I love stuffing. My mom used to make great stuffing. I like macaroni salad too.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

garlic bread. 🙂 We do lasagna and the whole Italian thing for Christmas.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

are tamales considered a side dish?

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Scarlet…what’s the main course? My neighbors usually make tamales and send over a plate on Christmas Eve. I hope they do it again this year too. I am the cookie lady(delivering Christmas cookies to all the neighbors) and they are the tamale people. 🙂 Fair trade!!

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Dessert!

Curlzz01
    • Topics - 27
    • Replies - 415
    • Total Posts - 442

Stuffing..

AbbyT
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 20
    • Total Posts - 20

My family is a big fan of Corn Pudding, very rich and only done once a year. YUMM

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Broccoli salad is the most requested side dish, and goes quickly.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

My daughter loves a bacon and sage Yorkshire pudding we make as a side to Prime Rib. My son is too young still to really care about any of the meal and just wants desserts. This year I’m making a bread pudding and a lemon tart. Both recipes are super easy and delish and came from a pastry chef that used to work for The French Laundry.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Mine is a version of sweet potato casserole that we have developed over the years. I eat it as dessert later. It is one of the best things I have ever eaten.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Just plain ol’ mashed potatoes, actually.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@newmom 101963 wrote:

My daughter loves a bacon and sage Yorkshire pudding we make as a side to Prime Rib.

Impressive. I don’t know anyone who does Yorkshire pudding any more. I did one a few years ago and it was “OK.” One of my favorite dishes.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

It’s actually pretty easy-everything just has to be really hot, and you need to serve it almost immediately. This one even uses bacon grease instead of butter. The leftovers make a delicious breakfast too. I cook the bacon ahead of time and pour the bacon in the pan and then reheat to a high heat right before I put the batter in the pan back in the oven to cook.

Yorkshire Pudding with Bacon and Sage
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Yorkshire-Pudding-with-Bacon-and-Sage-236596

Chunks of bacon give this English classic newfound appeal.

6 ounces bacon slices (about 7 slices), cut into 1-inch pieces

2 tablespoons (about) butter, melted

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, divided

1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt

1 1/2 cups whole milk

3 large eggs

Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 450°F. Sauté bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Transfer drippings to glass measuring cup. If needed, add enough melted butter to measure 1/4 cup total. Pour drippings into 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Place dish in hot oven to heat drippings 10 minutes.

Whisk flour, 2 tablespoons sage, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Whisk milk and eggs to blend in large bowl; add flour mixture and whisk until batter is smooth. Whisk in 2/3 of bacon. Remove hot baking dish from oven. Using oven mitts or pot holders to protect hands, tilt dish to distribute drippings evenly. Pour batter into pan. Bake 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake until golden brown and puffed, about 12 minutes longer (do not open oven door while baking).

Remove pudding from oven. Crumble remaining bacon over pudding, sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sage, and serve.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Thanks for sharing that! It’s in my recipe folder already. I have several from my EG/Sac and Portland friends that have found something they do really well. I learn a lot from others this way, especially as I’m not much of an indoor cook.

On the BBQ site last night some guy was thanking me for a recipe and said he was “stealing it.” Can’t do that, because these are out there for everyone. Some of my stuff I recommend sticking to the recipe, others, like the almonds, you can play and adjust to your tastes. This one I’ll stick to it–it looks wonderful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1782[/ATTACH]

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

More than 1/4 cup grease in the pan will cause the pudding to stay flat rather than rising, so stick to the recipe for that and measure it correctly. Your home smoked bacon is probably the best you can use. We use the better butcher bacon rather than packaged bacon and have never not had enough grease that we had to supplement with butter. After I cook the bacon earlier in the day I measure the hot grease, then pour it into the backing dish and let it all sit. Then I put the baking dish back in the oven to get really hot and make sure to let the hot bacon grease run up the sides and all over the bottom right before the batter it put in.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

You’re right about the grease. Grease from factory bacon is nasty, but the grease from what I’ve done at home is as good as duck fat. I use it for seasoning green beans and other things. Good tip, added to the recipe, thanks.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I am still thinking a tasting party of LC’s meats and we bring the side dishes 🙂

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

LC, we could do a huge rib party this spring! They can bring the sides and beer. On second thought, we will need the beer earlier, so a pony of Racer 5 or Monkey Knife Fight might have to show up the night before…

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Up for it, and maybe this time the cook will produce a decent product 😡 Right now I’m about peaked for Christmas. Last batch of almonds in the smoker, salmon patiently waiting its turn, EGL turkey is almost done, pastrami is still curing for a Tuesday cook, same with the bacon. Ham is right out of the cold case, nothing to do there, our Christmas turkey gets brined tomorrow, and I’ll pick up some fresh prawns for a last minute smoke. Love it, so much fun.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Newmom, I like the name ~Yorkshire Pudding. It sounds so victorian.

nsv73
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 44
    • Total Posts - 44

Rice and beans as side dish for tamales 🙂

enags
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 67
    • Total Posts - 73

stuffing with sausage in it. lots of gravy over it.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

Stuffing is one of my favorites. We have it regardless of what main dish is being served.

Birdofparadise
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 82
    • Total Posts - 83

I enjoy whipped sweet potatoes with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. Yum!

Tracinae
    Participant
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 30
    • Total Posts - 30

Deviled Eggs HANDSDOWN. 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@tracinae 102127 wrote:

Deviled Eggs HANDSDOWN. 🙂

Good thing it’s not a Broncos win last night. 😉

Tracinae
      Participant
      • Topics - 0
      • Replies - 30
      • Total Posts - 30

We HAVE to win the next three games….

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

This girl brews beer. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.