fbpx
Advertisements

What’s on YOUR Christmas List for Santa?…

This topic contains 40 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Tracinae 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Yeah, yeah… Christmas is for the kids, and parents NEVER ask for presents. Riiiiiight. I always give my family the same line when they ask what I want for Christmas: “The love of my family.” Then my wife and I sort out what we want/need and decide what we will get each other for Christmas. Mostly it is utilitarian stuff. Lawnmower, Vacuum, Scrapbooking stuff… This year, I asked Santa for a new pair of running shoes (on their way through EBay!), and a hitting net (I have a couple, but need one more for softball practices). My wife is getting a new scrapbooking die-cutter and some other similar stuff.

I kind of made it a point to remind Santa that I need a new set of sticks, but he didn’t seem to hear me very well. I guess we will see if my golf clubs make it.

What are you asking for this Christmas? Be honest. We all have a little kids inside somewhere hoping that Santa will bring us a really cool new toy.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

To be honest I really have no idea. There is not “one” thing I really want. Last year I wanted a blue tooth music player. I generally go buy what I want during the year and sometimes right before Christmas much to my wife’s chagrin. I bought new golf clubs earlier this year. We just got a 60″ TV last month. I have no idea what I am getting. I know some new clothes for sure. I’ll have to give that some thought.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

The Spot. It’s a subscription based satellite radio that can notify S&R if you’re in trouble out in the puckerbrush, and can text pre-formatted messages to home like “I’m OK,” or “OK, running late.” My wife and daughter always stress when I’m out in the woods by myself, and sometimes I get a little concerned too. This summer when I got injured 30 miles from nowhere I realized the value of this for everyone close to me, even though I was able to drive out with one hand and one badly dislocated shoulder. Might not be so lucky next time.

A custom built fly rod. Already ordered, will get it late March. I was holding out for used but found none on the market. Since I’ve ordered it I’ve bought two more used in different sizes in a “could not resist” moment–one is strictly for resale. The custom will be a keeper.

Gift certificates from Cabelas. Can’t go wrong there.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

One of those cool new watches that sync with your cell phone. (I want to be Dick Tracey!)

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@govwatcher 101329 wrote:

One of those cool new watches that sync with your cell phone. (I want to be Dick Tracey!)

You mean the Apple Watch? Those come out in the spring. I think Samsung has that too, I don’t know. I don’t pay much attention to them. 🙂

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Honestly, nothing for me. I love buying for everyone else at Christmas, and I’d rather the budget go for my hubby and kids. I love to see their surprise and happiness, especially my son, since he still believes in Santa.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Our 10 year old finally stopped believing. He asked questions last year about it and was skeptical. We did tell him this year that Santa isn’t a real person but the spirit of Santa is real.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Gina has been aware of the reality of Santa for two years. Jack still believes.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

My son doesn’t believe in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny anymore, but for now, he believes in Santa. I’m milking it for all it’s worth while I can. He just turned 7, but he’s a pretty skeptical kid naturally, so we might only have another year until he connects the dots between Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the TF. My 12 year old daughter hasn’t believed for since 3rd or 4th grade-not sure which one, but she plays along nicely for our son.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Well, I’ve got a ticket to Oslo for Christmas, so that is pretty good, from my son and DiL, who live in Norway. I can’t ask for much more than that, although a ticket to Hong Kong to see the new grandbaby wouldn’t go amiss. 🙂

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

This year keeping it simple – my daughter is have surgery on the 23rd (she has to have her jaw broken) – So I am praying she won’t be in a lot of pain during her recovery. The Doc said the first three days are complete hell and it eases after that. Looking at two weeks of no fun and no eating

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

When my daughter was in the 4th grade, they had some f’g intellectual from CSUS come into class and give a talk on fiction vs. non-fiction. He got right into it with an example of a fictional character that wasn’t real–Santa Claus. Of course, about half the class burst into tears and that was the end of the lecture. I remember my daughter even then saying how incredibly stupid and inconsiderate it was for him to say that. I think prolonging the myth is wonderful. I don’t think we were able to do that past about age 6 or 7. I blame Montessori training in the early years 😉

AdamsMommy
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 146
    • Total Posts - 161

What I want for Christmas is a job and a divorce. 🙂

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

I can usually help with the first, but you are on your own for the second.

Tracinae
    Participant
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 30
    • Total Posts - 30

Well I’m asking Santa for a new blender, ours broke along with our toaster in the same week. 🙁

Curlzz01
    • Topics - 27
    • Replies - 415
    • Total Posts - 442

Santa brought me a new elliptical machine yesterday.. I have been wanting one for a long time and finally found what I wanted.. Merry Xmas to me…

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

In reply to the question about the Dick Tracy watch – I don’t do Apple :Tongue sticking out so I want the Samsung version to sync with my Samsung cell.

I’d also take a ticket to London if anyone is in the giving mood. That’s a real Dickens Christmas.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

I want my family’s trip to Seattle to go off without a hitch. 8)

That’s not really Santa’s job, though, so I’ll ask for a ride on a zero-gee plane instead.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I’ve been difficult this year as I couldn’t think of much I wanted or needed. Then, last night, we were a Jack’s getting dinner and I spotted a beautiful chef’s knife–an 8″ Global. The meat cutter let me hold it, and it was love at first grip. Hoping my daughter made that note–can’t wait to see if it’s under the tree.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I’m not familiar with Global knives

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

Your preferred toys always seem to do with either food or fishing. 🙂

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I am getting a new kindle fire. :/ I dont want a new kindle fire lol, pout. I want my old one to start working again. Books should never ever be this difficult …

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

You and Jack both Viola… I am torn about his getting a Kindle. I love to see a book in his hands. 🙂

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Just bought myself another gift. I needed a DVD burner for my Mac Mini. Getting tired of having to make movies or burn discs on my PC and having to convert files to be able to do it. Hoping this one is easier to burn files on. I got an Apple USB Super Drive

It’s very small. My brother in law’s father died and so he asked me to video the service to send back to family in the Philippines to family there. His dad was in the Air Force and met his mom there and then moved them here. He had a veterans funeral with a 21 gun salute. Pretty cool. So I made the video but all total it’s just under 2 hours and can’t upload to Youtube so I am just going to make some DVD’s and then upload it in pieces to Youtube.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@wildoates 101710 wrote:

Your preferred toys always seem to do with either food or fishing. 🙂

Pretty much. The cooking stuff is a dead expense, but the fishing is usually self financing. I brought in two new to me fly rods this week for a total of $201 shipped. Yesterday I sold one that became redundant for $200, which is what I paid two years ago. I rarely add extra expense to the collection, which is now at 26 rods :-). I have some bids out for reels too, sold some lines to help pay for those.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@scarlet 101695 wrote:

I’m not familiar with Global knives

You have probably seen them, but didn’t know the brand. One piece, beautiful balance. http://www.amazon.com/Global-G-2-inch-Chefs-Knife/dp/B00005OL44

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

well now I want to find one to play with – I have Cutco. I can’t justify buying anymore knives until the kids move out and steal mine

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@violarose 101715 wrote:

I am getting a new kindle fire. :/ I dont want a new kindle fire lol, pout. I want my old one to start working again. Books should never ever be this difficult …

My Kindle Fire died, and I’m tired of Amazon sending refurbs instead of new under warranty, so I got an ipad mini. I got it on sale so it was the same price, and Apple has much better customer service.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

What is the advantage of a Kindle Fire over an iPad? I’ve never understood the value in them.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

The Fires are less money upfront, but IMO, just don’t last as long as an ipad. I don’t want a full sized ipad-I liked the size of the Kindle since I could throw it in my purse easily-so the ipad mini was a good fit for me. I got it on sale at Target for $150 I think. Maybe $175? Something like that.

wildoates
    Participant
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 620
    • Total Posts - 629

I don’t call being able to eat delicious food a dead expense, John. 🙂 But I admit that I love reading about your resale exploits on fb.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

This is a great time of year to be a vulture. I picked up a rod that was built and signed by one of the top 10 builders in the world for $95, and it cost the seller $40.26 to ship it. New it would be about $600. Another that I haven’t got in yet is an old 70s Fenwick, but it’s never been used and has the original tags on it. People need money this time of year, bids are often light, so I get stuff in inventory for resale in the spring. It’s fun. Small ball, but fun and I enjoy throwing different sticks then selling them for another.

loonyman
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 160
    • Total Posts - 162

I never used to ask for anything for Christmas as I enjoyed buying for others but after YEARS of receiving gifts I would never use I now email a list of small gift suggestions (All around $20.00) so I will actually get something useful. Mostly books and small things I will get eventually but at least it’s stuff I want. The more expensive stuff I can get myself.

egdad
    Participant
    • Topics - 3
    • Replies - 384
    • Total Posts - 387

@lc 101744 wrote:

You have probably seen them, but didn’t know the brand. One piece, beautiful balance. http://www.amazon.com/Global-G-2-inch-Chefs-Knife/dp/B00005OL44

John,
    I was in this store in Manhattan this summer. Talk about nice knives. http://korin.com/Knives

Leonore
    Participant
    • Topics - 14
    • Replies - 74
    • Total Posts - 88

I asked Santa for a Pilot Vanishing Point Fountain Pen (gouletpens.com) they are the most wonderful writing instruments in the world! I already have one, must have another in purple! No cap, nib retracts, no ink all over your fingers when you write, starts writing immediately when the nib touches paper. I know a pretty damn nice Santa, so I have high hopes.:wink:

jusme
    Participant
    • Topics - 258
    • Replies - 800
    • Total Posts - 1,058

@curlzz01 101468 wrote:

Santa brought me a new elliptical machine yesterday.. I have been wanting one for a long time and finally found what I wanted.. Merry Xmas to me…

Can I check in with you at the end of next year to see if you are selling it?

(meant to be a joke since everyone goes gungho at first and then the enthusiasm dies down).

Anyway I hope you continue to use it as a source of exercise.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@egdad 101782 wrote:

John,
    I was in this store in Manhattan this summer. Talk about nice knives. http://korin.com/Knives

Oh my. Now we know why sushi is so damned expensive;-) Actually my favorite knife for now is a white handled Montana Knife Works 9″ chef’s knife. They are inexpensive and have a great feel and hold an edge well. You see those in practically every deli. I have some mid line stuff–Henckles–don’t like them much at all. I have some cleavers from Cost Plus from way back. Razor sharp, dirt cheap, still love them for certain uses like chopping vegetables, although they are cumbersome to hold.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I might have a vitamix to sell soon. I knew that would happen. It maybe got used 10 times. 7 by me. And my wife had to have it.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Get a Ninja. They work great as blenders and processors. Love ours. About $150.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

We’ve had our Vitamix for 18 years now and still use it several times a week. They are wonderful.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Too late.

Curlzz01
    • Topics - 27
    • Replies - 415
    • Total Posts - 442

jusme I better not be selling it the end of the year.. LOL I plan on keeping this machine.. Iam selling the schwinn airdyne bike that my hubby wanted last year and never used tho… I never did like it even tho its a nice machine….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.