fbpx
Advertisements

Who should replace the item?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

pepsilvr
    • Topics - 105
    • Replies - 1,278
    • Total Posts - 1,383

A bunch of kids are playing football in the street. One of the kids a girl about 13 or 14 asks andother kid a boy around 12-13 to hold her i-pod touch. They are playing in the street right in front of her house. All of the kids live fairly close to where they were playing. The boy take the i-pod form the girls and has it for about 5mins while the girl is playing football. She comes and asks for the i-pod back and during the exchange the i-pod falls in the street. It did not appear to be intentional but they just somehoe missed the conneciton during the hand off. The girls parents go to the boys parents wanting them to replace the i-pod. Do you think they should? Does it matter that the complaining family’s children have caused property damage to most of the other families on the block and when confronted with their children’s actions they defend them and complain about how their kids are always targeted and never offer to pay, repair, remove, or clean-up anything their kids have been accused of?

This incident did not happen to me but I did witness what happened. Thank goodness it wasn’t me.

illbnice
    • Topics - 53
    • Replies - 1,231
    • Total Posts - 1,284

If this exact scenario happened to my daughter, I would not hold the boy or his parents responsible. I would consider my daughter responsible to protect her gadgets and have her work to replace it.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

It was an accident. I would’t pay if I was asked to and I wouldn’t expect to be paid if it was my kid’s iPod.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I agree. The girl could have taken in her house before she played. It’s her iPod and her responsibility.

cme5
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 2,261
    • Total Posts - 2,263

I would consider my daughter responsible to protect her gadgets and have her work to replace it.

Ditto

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I agree as well. If it was an accident then it’s her problem. If he was screwing around and it broke that’s different.

pepsilvr
    • Topics - 105
    • Replies - 1,278
    • Total Posts - 1,383

Well the boys parents paid. The father of the boy wanted to just be done with the situation the mother of the boy didn’t think they should pay. I saw the incident happen but I didn’t find out that the girls family had approached them or that they had agreed to pay for the i-pod until a week later when I was talking to the mom about something completely unrelated. Our daughters are the same age and are BFF’s right now so I know the family pretty well. The girls family portrayed the event as an accident to the boys family but still wanted the boys family to pay. I wouldn’t have paid espceically since they never take responisbility for their kid’s actions which are almost always intentional. The boys family has had property damage and messes caused by the girl’s brother.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

It depends on who can most afford it. If the boy’s family is in the 1%, then he can afford to pay for it. If the girl’s family is in that category then she can replace it. If neither, then the decision should be based on income and family needs of each.

😉

pepsilvr
    • Topics - 105
    • Replies - 1,278
    • Total Posts - 1,383

Thats funny LC neither is in the 1%.

I don’t know either of their incomes but families have both parents in the home each of three kids. The boys family is 2 boys and 1 girl dad in the military mom doesn’t work but takes care of her father in law and the kids. The girls family is 2 girls and 1 boy the mom deifinitley works not sure about the dad I know he has had some lapses in employments and been laid off a few times he may or may not be working now.

illbnice
    • Topics - 53
    • Replies - 1,231
    • Total Posts - 1,284

Perhaps the act of the boy’s father will serve as a message to the girl’s family.

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

I agree with what most of the others here have said. It was her iPod, so she was responsible for it. When she gave it to another to hold, she was no longer in control of the item and assumed the risk associated with that action. The responsible thing to do would have been not to bring it outside when playing football, or taking it inside for safe keeping when she decided to play football. She was irresponsible, in my opinion. And, now she has learned to blame others for her irresponsibility.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Watching Occupy Whereever on the news will teach her that much better.

ginmart
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 19
    • Total Posts - 21

Could the iPod have already been broken and intentionally dropped by the girl at hand off to try and shift blame?

pepsilvr
    • Topics - 105
    • Replies - 1,278
    • Total Posts - 1,383

I wasn’t that close to he action to see if it was broken a head of time. I wouldn’t have suspected this child to behave in a deceitful manner but she is now in Jr. High and a very different child than one I used to know so I guess anything is possible. Things have changed in their home as well I am not sure what but the kids in general are behaving different.

Karen
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 504
    • Total Posts - 519

No, the boy’s family should not have to pay for it. If I was the boy’s parents I would not have paid. If I was the girl’s parents I would not have asked.

And no, I don’t think it matters what has happened between either family in the past. It sucks that they have caused property damage in the past. But if I thought it was my son’s negligence that caused the damage, I would have paid for it regardless of what the other family did in the past.

ActionEmotion
    • Topics - 130
    • Replies - 1,822
    • Total Posts - 1,952

Your stuff-Your responsibility. Someone stole it from my locker was the cry at my house, the answer-I told you not to bring it to school. Lesson learned, want it replaced? Work hard to pay for a new one, there’s plenty of work to be done in the yard. Shoveling for iPods!

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

Yep. I agree. Your electronics = your responsibility = your loss.

kindrlindr
    Participant
    • Topics - 34
    • Replies - 2,374
    • Total Posts - 2,408

Had she had an otterbox or similar protective cover on it, it wouldn’t have had issues. Why didn’t they just see if Apple would replace it? I know of plenty of people who have had accidents happen to their devices and Apple replaces them for them.

That being said, there is no reason the boys family should have covered the expense. It’s kinda of ridiculous that the girls parents asked them to pay for it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.