fbpx

Who would you recommend for insurance and why?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ScottTheInsurancePro 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

I have State Farm, have had for decades, but I have a feeling it may be time for a change. The rates are higher than I think they should be… considering we haven’t had claims.

Who are you using for insurance and why? Ever have a claim and if so, any problems? Are you happy with your agent?

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

I find that I have to call around every few years and get some quotes because rates seem to change a lot from year to year. I don’t rely on an agent much-in my experience they do little except take the initial payment, so the company’s reputation for handling claims is more important to me than the agent is. We have great driving records so if there is an accident I want to be treated like the client, not an adversary. We’ve been with Liberty Mutual for a while now, and they were great to work with after an accident. There was one car part they wanted to go cheap and use a recycled part for but a little prodding from the body shop and a phone call from me made them come around to a new one.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We use Scott Edwards with Farmers Insurance. He does our home, auto and business policies. Great guy, very knowledgeable. https://www.scottinsurancepro.com/

[video=youtube_share;-UI9UlGJNS0]http://youtu.be/-UI9UlGJNS0[/video]

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Use an independent agent that can shop multiple companies. Using a captive agent such as State Farm or Farmers is usually more expensive. There’s not much difference between companies other than price. Most people’s experience is limited to a specific claim which may have unusual circumstances leaving them frustrated with company X. When it turns out the problem is the other person involved in the accident and not the particular company. I was an auto insurance adjuster for 5 years and saw it all from every company and most issues were related to the loser insured or dispute between the drivers about what happened. Can’t tell you how many times people “came out of the blue”. I always asked if they could send a diagram and label the “blue” so I know where they came from.

Good luck.

ScottTheInsurancePro
    Participant
    • Topics - 11
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 22

@plasmadrive 127983 wrote:

I have State Farm, have had for decades, but I have a feeling it may be time for a change. The rates are higher than I think they should be… considering we haven’t had claims.

Who are you using for insurance and why? Ever have a claim and if so, any problems? Are you happy with your agent?

Hi, I am Scott “The Insurance Pro”, and dealing with insurance can be a pain. It is good to shop every few years (quotes are FREE everywhere) to make sure you are getting the coverage and Service you want. As a Farmers Agent I can tell you we are high right now for new Auto; but our Homeowners, renters, and Commercial are competitive. Fact is, all the carriers go up and down….the key is to have an Agent watching over things for you….when did you last meet with your agent? Last, decide if you want personal local service or someone on the phone from Florida or India…yes, internet insurance…sounds cheap, but you get horrible claims and no personal service.
    Just my two cents…..Shop! That is my recommendation. “I Handle Insurance so You don’t have to!”

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

We’ve used Allied Nationwide for over a decade for home, auto, personal liability. We’ve had one claim and it was a good one and they were very good. All things equal, I’d pick State Farm over any of them, but they’ve been literally out of the market for us pricewise for almost 20 years. I would give a referral but our agent is not someone I’d recommend. Doesn’t really matter as you deal with national claims and they are extremely helpful and responsive. Every year I bid them, to date no one has been able to touch them in pricing.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Just call Jake……

We have Geico, no one has been able to beat what I pay for 2 cars with my deductibles and coverage. I have no at fault claims with them but I have worked with them on my accident from February and a hit and run back in 2014. They were excellent. But I heard most don’t like them. They do what I need them to do for me, and I’ve never had an issue with their Customer Service.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

This is what’s interesting–I’ve bid GEICO and Progressive every time and they were way high for me. My daughter and her husband bid State Farm and they just killed Allied Nationwide. It matters where you live, your limits, what you drive, etc. For Boat Insurance, I had GEICO at the low until I read the fine print. I was shocked to find that regardless of what damage I would have I’d never get a cent out of them. State Farm ended up beating them with a far better coverage formula. Read them all before you sign, especially GEICO, and at least for homeowners, Farmers. You will be enlightened beyond what you may imagine. This is why I like State Farm, they have always been tops for me in claims, however they are just too high for home, auto, personal liability for me.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

Thank you all for the input.. time to start looking around.. I will give some of these a try

ScottTheInsurancePro
    Participant
    • Topics - 11
    • Replies - 11
    • Total Posts - 22

My only disagreement is with the comment about agents. Yes, it is true many agents don’t do much after the initial sale; but not all. I, for one, maintain communication year long and am always available for my clients. And, you are correct about claims…very important; but imagine having an agent that actually works the claim with you, represents you, and makes sure you’re claim and you are treated fairly and quickly to the best resolution possible. I am of course explaining how I personally represent my clients.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@newmom 127984 wrote:

I want to be treated like the client, not an adversary.

This is something that I wish more people understood. No insurance company is your friend. They will avoid paying claims to the extent your underlying documents allow. They are not in the business of paying claims, they are in the risk management business and their foundation is based on the premise that the premium income and investments made with it will exceed claims paid. This is not to say most are not honest, however those tall buildings are not built with love for claims payment.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@Scott”TheInsurancePro” 128010 wrote:

My only disagreement is with the comment about agents. Yes, it is true many agents don’t do much after the initial sale; but not all. I, for one, maintain communication year long and am always available for my clients. And, you are correct about claims…very important; but imagine having an agent that actually works the claim with you, represents you, and makes sure you’re claim and you are treated fairly and quickly to the best resolution possible. I am of course explaining how I personally represent my clients.

I can vouch for Scott and say that he contacts us quite often and asks how we are doing, can he help with anything etc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy