fbpx

Would you report water wasters?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Hank_Moody 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Placer County has an app that lets you report water wasters and remain anonymous. The scofflaws will receive a warning and some information on what to do and not do. If they continue to waste water they could be fined.

Would you turn your neighbor in for wasting water?

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

You mean like the person that has her side sprinklers on for at 45 minutes and I watch gallons of water go down the gutter? Probably…

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

No way. I will never ever be a tattle teller, I dont need that fake power. I would write them a note, I would talk to them, i would yell at them, but no way would i ever be a baby and tell on people.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’m not sure talking to them would do much good. They should be aware of it by now, which means they will probably get mad if you talk to them.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

I did try talking to the person, I thought maybe she forgot she put them on, she knew they were on and didn’t care. She has them on that way at least 3 times a week

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Well then they waste water. its not my job to report people. didnt mean to call people baby if they do.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@scarlet 113771 wrote:

I did try talking to the person, I thought maybe she forgot she put them on, she knew they were on and didn’t care. She has them on that way at least 3 times a week

Maybe if you send Joy a pm she will stop. 😉

doclaguna
    • Topics - 216
    • Replies - 5,943
    • Total Posts - 6,159

Why do they need this app? If you drive down my street you can see in a second who is wasting water. Look for the lush green grass, as opposed to the browning, yellow mess most of us have.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I don’t think that is going to be enough proof though. What if someone is watering twice a week, but multiple times a day? That might make it greener too. Or they have fertilized and aerated the lawn.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

Are you a tattle tail if you call 911 to report a suspected DUI? I realize it’s on a different level but come on.

I still think many people don’t want to deal with adjusting their sprinklers or remember what days they can water. And I know sometimes I don’t realize a sprinkler head is broken or spraying the wrong direction. If I got a letter from the water district I’d be on it real quick. Reporting someone will only generate a letter not an immediate fine or some other punishment.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

We have professional landscaping contractors that manage the front yards in my community. They are constantly adjusting the irrigation systems because mowers hit spray heads and move them if not break them. We do checks at least once a week now, and we still find all kinds of anomalies with the sprinklers.

Anyone who thinks they have the professional expertise to know that someone is purposefully wasting water should go get their brown boots and arm bands. Nothing will destroy community faster than mistrust. Be my guest.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I imagine some people are happy with the new water conservation rules. They didn’t wear their lawn anyway so now everyone’s lawn looks as bad as theirs. Even if you don’t water it, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t mow it. Only thing worse than dead lawn is overgrown dead lawn. Mow it once and that should take care of it.

Hank_Moody
    Participant
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 46
    • Total Posts - 64

@doclaguna 113774 wrote:

Why do they need this app? If you drive down my street you can see in a second who is wasting water. Look for the lush green grass, as opposed to the browning, yellow mess most of us have.

From a distance, my grass looks lush green, but upclose you can tell it isn’t as healthy. My grass is greener than most on my block and I’ve been adhering to the new watering schedule (once a week). Part of it is my lawn is shaded during the hottest part of the day, plus I fertilized and aerated on a regular schedule. So, if I were to get reported, you better have more proof than just the color of my lawn.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think he’s a lawn bigot. 🙂

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

My front lawn sucks. it is struggling to stay green with one a week watering. We let our backyard grass die. I hate it. I love green grass. I hate the drought. I hate hearing people complain when it finally does rain. Oh well . such is life. so much more to worry about than grass .

ActionEmotion
    • Topics - 130
    • Replies - 1,822
    • Total Posts - 1,952

I tore out my front lawn and let my back lawn die. I water my plants on a drip line 5 minutes 3 days a week. They need so much more than this to thrive but at lest they wont die. I use very little water. If someone else chooses to use or abuse, that’s their choice. I’m not going to be the water police.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

my backyard has suffered greatly.. I water it much less and use the watering time for the front. Still has a lot of tan color, but it isn’t dead.

One of the bad parts about the lawn dying back is that it opens the flood gates for weeds. After years of taking such good care of my lawn all these years, it is now struggling with weeds and barren spots. I am not on the city water, but trying to do my part as much as practical.

I do see the trees need to have more water now since they don’t receive lawn water as much. I guess tubes going down a ways are the thing to do now..

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I’ve been watering my lawn the same as I did before. Too much time and money invested in it to let it die. Residential water use is a drop in the bucket of overall water usage. If the people in government would have pulled their heads out of their butts years ago and built some dams, like the Auburn dam, maybe one on the Cosumnes and not wasted so much water we would be doing much better.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

@EGL Admin 113825 wrote:

I’ve been watering my lawn the same as I did before. Too much time and money invested in it to let it die. Residential water use is a drop in the bucket of overall water usage. If the people in government would have pulled their heads out of their butts years ago and built some dams, like the Auburn dam, maybe one on the Cosumnes and not wasted so much water we would be doing much better.

This from the guy who dislikes cyclist for doing Idaho stops at stop signs. Guess we’re not the only ones that pick and choose what laws should be followed. 🙂 :beatdead:

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Water use is not a law. It is a regulation by a body with dubious ability to issue fines. So Doc can retain his pure “Just follow the law” stance. But if we can send a water agency storm trooper over to beat him up, I won’t argue. I think newmom is still looking for someone to hit…

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

@bainc 113837 wrote:

This from the guy who dislikes cyclist for doing Idaho stops at stop signs. Guess we’re not the only ones that pick and choose what laws should be followed. 🙂 :beatdead:

Well that is simple.. we are in California… not Idaho… :doh: California stops might be a different animal.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

We have to follow the rules, and if my grass dies, its the cites fault. and we will all have dry grass and then cry when we have fires.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bainc 113837 wrote:

I’m not disobeying the law. I am on a well, not public water, so it doesn’t apply to me. If you want to come buy some, I will sell it to you. 🙂

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Viola, actually, it would be Sacramento County Water Agency’s fault. They are the one putting restrictions on you and your water use. The City of Elk Grove has no direct say in your use of water. Unless they want to insert themselves into the equation. Which they haven’t yet done.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

fine, its their fault, u know what i mean. its the fault of the people that put up the restrictions. and then its the fault of earth for not giving us rain. and so forth and so forth. point is, we need more water.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

It’s the fault of tech innovators for not producing more graphene earlier at a cheaper price. 8)

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

@EGL Admin 113773 wrote:

Maybe if you send Joy a pm she will stop. 😉

If you had seen my yard you wouldn’t say that.

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Water Agency was driving around our neighborhood today
    http://egcitizen.com/articles/2015/06/11/news/doc55777682420f0966685948.txt
    Water district patrols neighborhoods for water waste

Several hundred notices posted
    By Cameron Macdonald – Citizen News Editor
    Published: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:42 PM PDT
    Elk Grove Water District customers who irrigate their yards on the wrong watering day or flood their gutters will be notified about their water waste. The district now has staff members patrolling neighborhoods east of Highway 99 every day for waste; starting at 4 a.m.

This is a part of the district’s effort to get their customers to reduce water usage by at least 28 percent during California’s severe drought that’s into its fourth year. In April, Gov. Jerry Brown ordered the first statewide water reduction soon after the Sierra Snowpack reached a historic low. Brown lawns are becoming more of a common sight in Elk Grove, except for the Laguna West neighborhood that’s irrigated by recycled water from a nearby wastewater treatment plant.

Under the state regulations, a violator will first be notified about water waste, followed by a warning if another violation is determined. The next two violations can lead to $200 and $500 fines as well as water audit. A fifth violation can be punished by a $500 fine and cutoff water service.

Within the Elk Grove Water District, customers cannot water on more than two days a week, depending on their addresses, and they can’t irrigate on weekends. Driveway washing, overwatering, and watering between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. are also prohibited.

The district starts patrolling early in the morning, especially on weekends when customers cannot irrigate.

Mark Madison, the Elk Grove Water District’s general manager, said his staff placed “several hundred” notifications about water waste on customers’ doors.

“We don’t like this role of being a water cop,” he said. “We have to do this because of the requirements that have been imposed on us by the state.”

Madison stressed that his staff is working to help customers reduce their water use and address problems such as not knowing how to program an irrigation system. The patrols work to be “reasonable and consistent, but balanced” in how they cite or assist customers.

“I want to send someone to help them program their sprinkler timer,” he said. “So rather than tag them and walk away, I would like to easily help them quickly.”

Madison said there have been cases of “drought shaming” or customers reporting water waste by their neighbors, which is a dispute that his staff does not like getting involved in.

Current plans are to continue the patrols into the fall, as long as the state’s drought policy lasts.
    “We need to help people understand this is a serious matter and we’re taking it seriously,” Madison said.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

one problem I see is that the day on which you water really has nothing to do with how much water you use. What is the difference if I use 1000 gal on Monday or 1000 gal on Tuesday? This is not a matter of the ability to supply the existing water, it is an over all usage issue… So the days are not relevant. I think they do that to make it easier for them to enforce it only.. but their enforcement issues should not be my problem. That is why most people have meters.. well OK.. they have meters so the water district can make more money.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

You’re not supposed to water for 48 hours after it rains. It only rained .05. Does that mean you don’t water ?

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

So, I guess I better re-check what we are supposed to be doing. I thought it was only once a week and our day is Sunday. Both those things are contradicted in that article. WTH?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think it is still twice a week here. I know EG Water service is Monday and Thursday for even numbers. Maybe Tuesday and Friday for odd?

Scarlet
    Participant
    • Topics - 268
    • Replies - 1,786
    • Total Posts - 2,054

Joy we are one day a week on this side according to the postcard that came in the mail – even Sunday, Odd Saturday for lawn. Don’t let your plants or trees die, water those 3 days a week. I’ve been using the shower bucket water every day for the plants

Aggies49
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 119
    • Total Posts - 124

I wouldn’t snitch on people because it’s none of my business. Besides, I have a good relationship with my neighbors and maintaining that positive relationship is more important to me than their water usage.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

If you are west of 99, you are likely a Sac County Water Agency customer. 1 day per week turf watering, 3 days a week for drop systems…

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

I was so proud of my saved rain water the other day, and then yesterday my husband promptly dumped the water in the tanbark. I almost had another anxiety attack. He thought the water was dirty, and had mosquito larva in it. Oh dear. I was so proud of my little water, I had it all planed to go on my roses. Life can be so silly.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

If you’re on one day a week, maybe water multiple times that day for a short time period.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

You can water multiple times, but you just can’t produce runoff as a result of your watering.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Water Nazis. What a joke.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.