fbpx

YouTube Car Repair

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PhysAl 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Expert Auto
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 0
    • Total Posts - 12

The beauty of the internet is that everything that once required a professional has been made super simple. According to YouTube it’s now possible to reprogram your cars computer in the morning and remove a human appendix in the afternoon just by following a few simple instructions. OK, We are kidding about removing a human […]

More…

kermit
    Participant
    • Topics - 20
    • Replies - 62
    • Total Posts - 82

lol Expert Auto! but I do have to say that YouTube repair videos have saved us a bunch of money. We recently watched videos in order to change the inner/outer tie rods, sway bar links, and removed the rotors (to have them resurfaced) on our Chevy Silverado – this saved us a considerable amount of money. Also watched videos on replacing the tailgate latch. There are definitely somethings that are just best left to the professionals. But since my hubby is mechanically inclined, and willing, we usually try it ourselves.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We’ve used YouTube for auto stuff a bunch as well. Nothing like what you did Kermit. Mostly minor things.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

I love YouTube videos for walking me through things, especially car repairs. I’ll watch the video and see if it’s something I can follow without too much risk of making things worse. I wouldn’t use it to rebuild an engine but I’ve definitely used it for minor repairs on my cars and bike, not to mention other household repairs.

kermit
    Participant
    • Topics - 20
    • Replies - 62
    • Total Posts - 82

It is fun to watch the different approaches to s repair too. Some guts are lunatics and you are just waiting for the fingers to fly off. Somehow they manage to complete the repair but how I’ll never figure out!

EGdonald
    Participant
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 176
    • Total Posts - 177

@divotmaker 122079 wrote:

… I’ll watch the video and see if it’s something I can follow without too much risk of making things worse. I wouldn’t use it to rebuild an engine but I’ve definitely used it for minor repairs on my cars and bike, not to mention other household repairs.

This is exactly what I do. Watch, assess, decide. 🙂 Unfortunately, newer cars seem to become more and more complex, making self repair difficult or less documented online. I fear the day things become so complex and sophisticated that researching how to DIY becomes more of a project itself.
    Not only for auto repair, but fit any diy-type project; cleaning rain gutters, changing toilets, refrigerator repair :), among others

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

My 2003 Toyota Sequoia has a few things that have stopped working over the years, minor, but annoying. Checking the net, I found they were very common among the early 2000s Sequoias, and there were always fixes, and You Tubes to show you how. Some I did on my own, two I had done. Without You Tube I would have had no idea what repairs were needed, and which ones were better left to the pros. Or, in one case, to Expert Auto’s point, one I should have left to the pros, didn’t initially, and ended up taking it to them and it probably would have been cheaper to hand it over initially.

enags
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 67
    • Total Posts - 73

i spent 30 minutes trying to get the headlight bulb out. went to youtube. saw that u have to push down on this hidden spring latch. took all of 5 seconds.

lrnzduran
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 3
    • Total Posts - 3

The knob on my truck that adjusts the temperature stripped out so it wouldn’t catch and adjust the temperature every time. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Did some Googling and discovered this was pretty common for my year so found a YouTube video on how to remove and replace the control panel. Whole thing cost me $30 and about 30 minutes of my time. Was looking at close to $250 at the dealer, so well worth my time and effort to do it myself.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We had to replace the battery on the Lexus and for some reason it did something to the window controls, so the deriver could not operate any of the other windows. Went on Youtube and found out how to reset it. Had to use it to replace a burned headlight on my Tundra. That’s about as far as I would go for DIY yourself on a car. I used change my own oil when I got out of high school. I haven’t done it in probably 25 years. It’s not worth it to save a $20-25.

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

Great post, as my altinator went out on the Princess mobile today, don’t think I’ll use YouTube to fix it, hahaha.

PhysAl
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 20

The remote on for my van was not working. So we changed the battery and that didn’t do it. We went to the dealer and he said,”oh no problem, we just need to reprogram it…its ONLY $110 and we’ll be done in an hour”. I didn’t jump on the deal, but checked YouTube and there was a used car dealer in Modesto who showed how to do it. Free. Weird process though, turn radio off and on, press the door lock several times, ect…. just brought the laptop into the car with the wife and went through the steps. 5 minutes and done.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Policy