Louis Conter, one of only 5 remaining survivors of the USS Arizona will appear as the guest of honor at the 8th annual Walk To Remember in Elk Grove, on April 8, 2017. Conter was on the Arizona on December 7, 1941, when Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japan. 1177 men aboard the Arizona were killed that day. Conter who is now 95, attended the 75th anniversary of the bombing in December of last year. The remains of two more Arizona shipmates who passed away in 2016 were place in the Arizona memorial that day.
The Walk to Remember was started in honor of Elk Grove resident SFC Bryan Hall, who was killed in action on April 10, 2009 in Mosul, Iraq. The Walk has now grown to honor all veterans, past and present for their sacrifice in defending our country.
Conter’s connection to the Elk Grove event happened by chance. Bryan’s sister, Kristi, is a 6th grade teacher at Cosumnes River Elementary School. One of her students is in the boy scouts and met Conter. He told him that his teacher has a wall in her classroom to honor members of the military. Conter gave the young man his card to give to his teacher. Kristi spoke to Conter and then she and her husband met with him at his home recently. They discussed the Walk to Remember and Conter said he would like to attend. The Hall family and the Elk Grove community are honored to have Conter attend the event.
ABC10 Interview with Louis Conter in 2016
For more information on the Walk to Remember, please go to http://www.walktorememberbryanhall.com/