California is the #1 state in package theft. Videos are shared daily on social media showing porch pirates stealing packages. In response to the increasing thefts, some local police agencies are increasing their focus on the issue.
The Elk Grove Police Department announced it will be cracking down on package theft this month as part of “Operation Grinch.”
The following press release was sent out.
“Beginning today and continuing through the end of the month, the Elk Grove Police Department will be conducting bait package operations as well as having officers in unmarked vehicles patrolling neighborhoods throughout the city. The officers in the unmarked vehicles will focus on suspicious activity occurring in and around neighborhoods related to package theft activity. These operations will be conducted during various dates, times and locations.
As a reminder, the Elk Grove Police Department would like to provide the following package theft prevention tips:
· Have your package delivered to the home of a relative, friend or neighbor that you know will be home.
· Use lockers offered by various delivery services.
· Set up notifications to track your package
· Get your packages delivered to your work.
· Require a signature on delivery.
· Have your package held at your local post office for pickup.