fbpx

Anti-Casino Signature Gatherers

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #177932

      Jonathan Stein
      Participant
      • Topics - 2
      • Replies - 6
      • Total Posts - 8

      Hi there! In the last 24 hours, I have been approached a dozen or so times by people wanting me to sign a petition to stop the casino. This is not about whether I support the casino or not. I just want people to understand the facts.

      1. The petition drive is being paid for by Arno Consulting. This is their job. The people standing outside the stores or going door to door are paid, roughly ten cents per signature.
      2. Arno will not disclose who is paying for their services. Now, they aren’t required to, but I asked twice today and both times was told by the petition gatherer that they don’t know who is paying for this.
      3. There is no referendum. They can call it anything they want. You are signing a petition to “protest” the vote by the city council. Signing this will NOT allow you to vote on the issue at some point in the future.
      4. The city council’s vote was nice, but not needed. The tribe can (and would) open a casino even if the city council had voted no.
      5. The city council’s agreement with the tribe provides for $132 million in money for the city and EGUSD over 20 years. That is the nice thing about the vote. If the council changes their mind, and the tribe builds the casino anyway, that $132 million is gone.

      We should have healthy discussion about the casino. We had a LOT of discussion, some led by the tribe, some led by the city. They are working together to make this something more palatable for the city. But, even if the city council had said no, it would be coming. This is where the tribe wanted it and this is where BIA was going to approve it.

      Lastly, to the people collecting signatures, telling a citizen that they “need their meds” because they disagree with you, point out the flaws, or think you are factually incorrect, is simply unacceptable.

    • #295514

      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

      Signatures or not. It is my understanding that this development will go through anyways…. Why bother?

    • #295501

      EGL Admin
      Member
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

      @CJay916 128169 wrote:

      Signatures or not. It is my understanding that this development will go through anyways…. Why bother?

      It’s not done deal but is a likely one. The Feds haven’t approved it yet. I don’t know that a referendum can overturn the land use decision by the council, maybe it can. It seems stupid because it involves the city and a private company. Both agree with the decision. All that was done is that the mall property was in the development agreement. The tribe can’t take possession of the land unless it is out of the agreement. The mall developer isn’t going to develop the property anyway, so the city agreed to take the land out of it. Some of the casino critics are saying that the city said they couldn’t stop the casino, but if they didn’t take the land out of the agreement they could have stopped it. The city wants the casino. They were never going to come out and say they did, but they do. They feel, as do a lot of people, that the casino will be an attraction to the city and will benefit the mall. There was no point in setting up an adversarial relationship with the tribe.

    • #295511

      dc327
      Participant
      • Topics - 6
      • Replies - 121
      • Total Posts - 127

      And harassing me in front of stores is just going to turn me off and I will ignore you, even if you are there for a good cause. I want my distraction free shopping, like the Trader Joe’s sign says!!

    • #295507

      newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

      Region builders called with a robot call yesterday warning against signing the petition. That doesn’t make me happy. They have no reason to be calling my house, ever.

    • #295505

      LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

      Probably “Stand Up For California.” They fight every proposed casino.

    • #295513

      SteveB6509
      Participant
      • Topics - 36
      • Replies - 1,460
      • Total Posts - 1,496

      I was prepared to call out the signature gatherers but maybe this is a better plan:

      – We should all sign with fake names. That way, the signature gatherers get paid (don’t they?), the non-Elk Grove organizers lose money, and they really have no idea how many signatures they have. Let’s flood them with fake names. Any thoughts?

      Signed,
      John Smith

    • #295508

      newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

      Now I got a robocall from the city, with Gary Davis warning against signing. If people don’t stop calling my house, I’m going to sign the damn petitions out of spite. Region Builders and the city need to stop.

    • #295502

      EGL Admin
      Member
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

      @newmom 128184 wrote:

      Now I got a robocall from the city, with Gary Davis warning against signing. If people don’t stop calling my house, I’m going to sign the damn petitions out of spite. Region Builders and the city need to stop.

      Other than a small annoyance, it’s not really a big deal. It’s two calls.

    • #295506

      LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

      She’s probably already signed it anyway πŸ™‚ and looking for a Costco petition now.

    • #295509

      newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

      I don’t like them calling my house. It’s one thing when I choose to go to a store and someone is there asking for signatures. I am perfectly capable of speaking up for myself and telling them what I think. If the city or Region Builders want to put people there, they are welcome to. The anti casino people aren’t calling my house. There is a reason the Do Not Call list exists. This isn’t a public safety issue like a missing child or criminal in the area, this isn’t a ballot initiative or someone running for office. They should not be calling, esp the call from Region Builders.

    • #295503

      EGL Admin
      Member
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

      The timing of all this is not very good. People are tired of politics and I don’t think dealing with this is going to help their cause. I went to Bel Air and the guy asked me if I supported the casino and I said yes and then he asked if I could sign it anyway. I said no thanks. Bel Air now has a sign up that says that they don’t support the petition people and that you don’t have to talk to them.

    • #295504

      EGL Admin
      Member
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

      @newmom 128194 wrote:

      I don’t like them calling my house. It’s one thing when I choose to go to a store and someone is there asking for signatures. I am perfectly capable of speaking up for myself and telling them what I think. If the city or Region Builders want to put people there, they are welcome to. The anti casino people aren’t calling my house. There is a reason the Do Not Call list exists. This isn’t a public safety issue like a missing child or criminal in the area, this isn’t a ballot initiative or someone running for office. They should not be calling, esp the call from Region Builders.

      Suck it up buttercup! πŸ™‚

    • #295510

      newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

      Nope, shouldn’t have to. Another call today. 3 in three days. Not ok.

    • #295512

      kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

      Thats what I told the first guy who approached me…….”I am taking a break from politics” and I walked away as he was talking to me. The second guy I told I was not against the casino and he tried to talk to me……the third guy? I told him I already signed it. LOL Took me three times to learn the right bs line.

    • #295515

      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Topics - 18
      • Replies - 1,250
      • Total Posts - 1,268

      @newmom 128197 wrote:

      Nope, shouldn’t have to. Another call today. 3 in three days. Not ok.

      Telemarketers and sales calls are the #1 reason I have no landline..

    • #295516

      plasmadrive
      Participant
      • Topics - 88
      • Replies - 885
      • Total Posts - 973

      @EGL Admin 128196 wrote:

      Suck it up buttercup! πŸ™‚

      I disagree with you on this one Doc.. there is a law against the robocalls.. it should be obeyed.. and we have a right to complain when it is not.. it is an invasion of our private time. newmom is right, the “Do Not Call List” is there for a reason. the law against robocalls is as well. If one gets away with it then everyone wants to.. and that is exactly what is happening.. I am getting them on my land line and my cell phone.. several a day.. It is getting annoying.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.