fbpx
Advertisements

Notice any changes in median and park watering?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  gearshark23 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Looks like they may be watering things again. The median on Laguna Blvd has green spots. Looks like they capped off the sprinklers that were only watering grass and turned on the ones that were watering the trees. Good idea. I have also noticed that the parks looks a little greener. I go to Jack Hill Park in East EG a few days a week. When we left for vacation the grass was dying and the trees were losing leaves like crazy. When we got back the grass was green and looking really good.

Anyone notice this at other parks?

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

We have been working with CCSD in my community, and they are telling us that they have been trying to keep everything alive given their allotments of water from the various agencies. They are trying to balance the water use to keep everything green, but they don’t alway know when they will get their allotment released. The medians should be shut down. They may be getting away with spray watering the trees, but they should not be watering any median turf.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I think homeowners should try to keep their lawn at least barely alive. Otherwise next year they will have nothing but weeds. The lawn won’t come back. All these homes all over EG with dead lawns will look like crap next year. It will make the foreclosure years looks like golf courses.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

Ive been watering my allowed one day a week and I cannot keep my lawn alive. Patches are slowly dying. Thinking I might just let it die completely and replant it when water isn’t an issue. Looks ugly but it won’t stay alive.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

What about if you water it multiple times that one day?

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 115714 wrote:

Bingo! They never said how many times you can water. I do it twice once at 9 and then again at 330 am.

The park near me is full of green…. They claim it’s recycled water.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

You can water as many times as you like, but you cannot have any run-off. We have several different settings depending on the type of irrigation heads are used. For the regular Rainbird spray heads, we are using 3 times a night, 5 minutes each. That is about all that you can get on the grass before you get wet sidewalks. For the MP Rotator heads, we do 3 times, 20 minutes each. There are some hybrid type heads out there that fall in between, but most are pretty close tot he regular spray heads. I am slowly installing MP Rotators on all of my turf irrigation locations. From what I have seen, they are much more effective on my lawn.

By the way, Municipal agencies are largely exempt from the residential watering restrictions. They have allotments of water from the agencies, and are charged with figuring out how best to use the water they are given. Much of the CCSD irrigation uses reclaimed or “gray” water. There simply isn’t enough available to do all of their irrigation, so some is potable water. What I have found in working with them is that they are very conscientious about the water they use, and do their best. They have some significant public assets that they need to protect as well as they can. It is a tough job.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

That reminds me, I need to adjust my heads in the front, I my sidewalk was watered the last time I watered.

violarose
    • Topics - 106
    • Replies - 2,959
    • Total Posts - 3,065

Now they say dont kill the lawns. Wish they would make up there bloody mine. We water once a week in the backyard. grass died.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Kill the grass and go drought-tolerant. Easier to maintain, and better for the environment.

I loved the quote I saw the other day that said something like “What would aliens think of us when we devote so much of one of our most precious and life-giving resources to an agricultural product that we neither eat or use for any other purpose and that we cut down so that very little of the actual plant ever shows…?” That really made me think about how completely arrogant we are about how we as a species will survive when we are so completely wasteful…

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

How is drought tolerant better for the environment besides using less water and looking like crap? Lawn makes your house cooler. It looks better. Kids cans play on it. Ever go into the backyard of a home on a hot day and they have no backyard landscaping? It not only feels hot, but it looks hot. Do that with a nice green lawn and the backyard is probably 10 degrees cooler.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Some people are ripping out their grass to put in the newer artificial grass, but that is very, very expensive. A house near ours had their front yard done-it was a pretty small space, not much grass as it was, and it was $5k. A friend with a pretty large back yard got a quote to rip out his grass and put in turf and it was $20k. I would love to put something in the back that the kids could still play on, but at those costs, it’s not happening.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

We got a quote for the front of our office and I think it was $5K. It’s very small. I think maybe because the demand is high, the prices went up because they know people want to get rid of their lawn. It should be the other way and they could make a lot more money. My sister did their front and backyard. I didn’t ask what that cost. They have an average size yard. Based on what our office was quoted at and the size of their home, I would say it is at least $30K. When we were in Huntington Beach we saw quite a few. last year there was none in the area we stayed and this year there were probably 10 homes that had it. Looked pretty good. It looks good new. I am wondering how it will look in 2-3 years.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Friend did it. Think it was 50 cents a Sq ft, I also think it was right before they started to get strict on watering. He’s up in Folsom.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I also noticed that Albiani MS and PGHS are watering more now too. The grass was nearly dead early July and now some of it is pretty green. To me it is stupid to let the lawns just die. Who’s going to put in new lawn then next year?

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@EGL Admin 115714 wrote:

I water twice, but I have an incline and have bad runoff

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

I have seen some drought resistant yards that look really good. I think if you plant junipers and other types of greenery that don’t require much water they look better. I haven’t decided what to do with my front yard yet. The desert look will not go well with all the shrubs and greenery I have maintained over the summer. But after 5+ years of trying to maintain crappy sprinklers I am done. Every year I have spent money trying to fix them and it hasn’t helped. It has become a money pit and I have no patience for that.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@EGL Admin 115752 wrote:

We got a quote for the front of our office and I think it was $5K. It’s very small. I think maybe because the demand is high, the prices went up because they know people want to get rid of their lawn. It should be the other way and they could make a lot more money. My sister did their front and backyard. I didn’t ask what that cost. They have an average size yard. Based on what our office was quoted at and the size of their home, I would say it is at least $30K. When we were in Huntington Beach we saw quite a few. last year there was none in the area we stayed and this year there were probably 10 homes that had it. Looked pretty good. It looks good new. I am wondering how it will look in 2-3 years.

And we would want something really good, since the kids are still young enough that they play soccer on it, literally practice tumbling on it, etc. That would cost more than the crappiest quality turf stuff I would think.

joy
    Participant
    • Topics - 99
    • Replies - 3,934
    • Total Posts - 4,033

The greenbelt over here was looking more green than during an average summer up until a few weeks ago and then has gone downhill pretty quickly. Made me wonder if they are rotating the water allotment or something.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@bevone 115789 wrote:

I have seen some drought resistant yards that look really good. I think if you plant junipers and other types of greenery that don’t require much water they look better. I haven’t decided what to do with my front yard yet. The desert look will not go well with all the shrubs and greenery I have maintained over the summer. But after 5+ years of trying to maintain crappy sprinklers I am done. Every year I have spent money trying to fix them and it hasn’t helped. It has become a money pit and I have no patience for that.

What’s going on with the sprinklers? Do they leak or just stop working? Sometimes when you change them, you gave to be careful not to get dirt back or anything back in the line because it plugs them up.

We have been here 13 years and there are some I still haven’t changed out. The rainbirds seem to last forever.

adiffer
    Participant
    • Topics - 179
    • Replies - 9,504
    • Total Posts - 9,683

@joy 115791 wrote:

The greenbelt over here was looking more green than during an average summer up until a few weeks ago and then has gone downhill pretty quickly. Made me wonder if they are rotating the water allotment or something.

The ones I saw over the weekend looked okay to me. We were in town, so I was curious to compare with what I see here. Lawns and green spaces are a lot deader down south where I am.

ErinO
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 795
    • Total Posts - 804

The park across from our house is totally green and is watered throughout the week, using reclaimed water. It’s actually pretty wet, and now that soccer practice has started, we are noticing that they are probably over-watering. Since there is access to reclaimed water in the neighborhood, seems like the closest homes should use reclaimed water for landscape irrigation as well. Wonder how hard it would be to access that water source? Could be a good long term solution for water conservation.

By contrast, many of the houses on the street across from the park have totally dead lawns, mine included. I water on Sundays, but it’s just not enough to keep the lawn green, with the hot, dry days throughout the week. Guess I’ll just put in new lawn when the drought ends, or look into better drought resistant landscaping. I’m not too worried about it dying. I still pay my gardener to come out and mow it, even though it probably doesn’t need it. I want him to still be around to cut my yard when and if the drought ends. Some home lawns are still really green due to some neighbors continuing to water throughout the week, whenever they please, in violation of the water saving efforts. I find that very disappointing, and selfish. :tut_tut:

Even though the regulations state that you can water on Sundays, the intent was not to have everyone water excessively on Sunday, by running the sprinklers many times throughout the day. Although I suppose you’d be following the letter of the law by doing this; you’d certainly be circumventing the spirit of it. It doesn’t really help save water if you are using a ton on Sundays. The point is to use less water than in the past, not to use the same amount, but all of it on Sunday. In my opinion, using a little bit each day would have been a better way to save water, than using a ton on Sunday. There is no regulation on the total amount of water used per week, just on the day you do it. I’m surprised that our water experts didn’t recommend the approach of watering daily for one two minute cycle each day. That would use less water than the current practice of watering excessively on Sundays. Grass doesn’t have deep roots. So when you super saturate the the soil, you’re really just wasting water. It seeps down and is quickly wicked away by the very dry soil under the shallow grass roots. And once it is sucked up by the dry soil, grass roots don’t benefit from it.

We have installed artificial grass at my work. It looks very nice, but it gets super hot! If you are planning this for your yard to save on water and still provide a place for kids to play, I’d think twice. There is no way kids could play on the artificial grass here at work. They’d burn their feet.

tomwaltman
    • Topics - 96
    • Replies - 6,770
    • Total Posts - 6,866

Erin, the drought is here to stay. We keep building houses on top of the aquifers and paving over the wetlands that help recharge the aquifers. With more people, we need more potable water. Unless we discover ways to artificially recharge the aquifers, we are going to be in constant drought mode. Even with an El Niño year, the warm rain tends to create nothing more than surface water, which has been our problem for many years now. We need snowpack to retain the water throughout the year, and El Niño doesn’t do that for us. It creates a lot of surface water and flooding without doing much of anything for storage. Refilling the reservoirs doesn’t help much if you have too many users sucking on the water in them.

We need to be looking to grey water systems in new homes, and tax credits for retrofits. We need to be creating incentives for installing low water landscaping. And we need to convince people that this is the long term, not just a dry year.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@gearshark23 115768 wrote:

Friend did it. Think it was 50 cents a Sq ft, I also think it was right before they started to get strict on watering. He’s up in Folsom.

Please send me the contact info for that. My buddy just moved into a new home in Folsom and paid $12/sf which was the lowest quote he received. And that was for installing without having to rip anything out. I got a quote for about $6K for my backyard, but $250 sounds a lot better 🙂

In fact, I’ll kick you back a nice referral fee if I can get it installed for less than a grand!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I don’t think you can get it less than $10 sq ft.

I’m not sure the drought is here to stay. Obviously we need more snow pack and rain. We do need to conserve better. So that should be a lesson we learn from this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.