fbpx
Advertisements

RING Doorbell/Wireless Video Alert

This topic contains 31 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  leowm 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I’ve been hearing radio ads for Ring, and am intrigued. Reviews are pretty good, and it looks like their latest version has fixed some of the earlier shortcomings. Wondering if anyone has one yet?

Basically, when someone comes to your door, the motion detector is activated, and you get a signal on your smart phone that someone is there. You have to open the app, and when the video comes up you can talk to them. The cool thing is you can be in your back bedroom or in Florida, and they won’t know where you are. You can see them; they can’t see you. For only $30 per year you can keep the videos on a cloud.

Have a look, see what you think. I’m about ready to try one unless someone here has experience that would discourage it. $200, no wires, easy set up. You can add video cameras too in other locations for $200 each.

Ring

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

My friend has one. We stayed at her house Friday night. She went to my son’s gymnastics meet with me and she was able to know that her husband and son left late for a boy scout trip. The images were really clear, and the sound quality was clear too. She really likes it.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

You can do something similar with a Nest Cam. We bought 3 of them last month. I like it because you can talk through the camera. We use it to check on our dogs sometimes. 🙂

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

The Nest cameras are great too! Their picture quality is amazing!

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

It’s really clear.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@EGL Admin 123783 wrote:

You can do something similar with a Nest Cam. We bought 3 of them last month. I like it because you can talk through the camera. We use it to check on our dogs sometimes. 🙂

Do you pay a monthly or yearly service for archived video storage?

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Their cloud video archive is only $30 per year which is a huge advantage over the others. The Nest Cam is indoors only, at least not rated for outdoor use, as far as I can tell?

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

I bought 2 D-Link cameras about 6 months ago and I think they are great!

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-Surveillance-mydlink-Enabled-DCS-5009L/dp/B00M5BX5P4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1454434872&sr=1-1&keywords=D+Link

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-Surveillance-mydlink-Enabled-DCS-932L/dp/B004P8K24W/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1454434872&sr=1-2&keywords=D+Link

Both work with a phone on your app and/or tablet. They both have night vision and the one on top rotates and tilts. They have motion detection which send you an alert on your phone. They also have audio. The video is just OK, but the price is cheap. You can buy additional equipment to record to a hard drive, but I haven’t done that yet.

Regardless of what brand you buy, I love the idea of being able to stalk your own house. I can keep an eye on my dog when I am away.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

@lc 123793 wrote:

Their cloud video archive is only $30 per year which is a huge advantage over the others. The Nest Cam is indoors only, at least not rated for outdoor use, as far as I can tell?

A friend has her Nest cameras outside under eaves and purchased plastic bubbles made to go over the cameras that protect them from the weather even more. She’s had no problem with hers.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I really like the idea of having the alert go to the cellphone in any mode, wi-fi or not, and any where and the ability to talk and listen. I don’t think any other camera has those features. I would imagine the Nest is a higher quality product, but limiting in utility so it seems. They are not rated for outdoors so you don’t have problems until you do. Maybe never, who knows, but it’s location specific.

Anonymous
    • Topics - 18
    • Replies - 1,250
    • Total Posts - 1,268

@lc 123796 wrote:

I really like the idea of having the alert go to the cellphone in any mode, wi-fi or not, and any where and the ability to talk and listen. I don’t think any other camera has those features. I would imagine the Nest is a higher quality product, but limiting in utility so it seems. They are not rated for outdoors so you don’t have problems until you do. Maybe never, who knows, but it’s location specific.

I think the biggest issue is moisture. If they are under the eaves you should be OK. Although excess heat and cold would add additional wear on them. They make some cameras that are outdoor, although the cost is more

leowm
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 20
    • Total Posts - 20

I just saw in the Costco Connection magazine that they are selling the “Ring” doorbell. It also came with something else that normally is a separate purchase. The magazine, however, did not list the price. At least if you don’t like it, returns are easy at Costco.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Leo, good eyes! The price is $180, $200 elsewhere, and it includes a wireless chime that’s $30 normally. That’s where I’m going to get it, thanks!
    Just ordered. Backordered until the 8th. Once I get it set up I’ll try to post some test videos. Mixed reviews, but about 85% 4 or 5 on Amazon so we’ll see.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 123793 wrote:

We have one of ours outside under the eaves. Their storage is expensive though. I think 10 days of video is $100 a year for one camera and $50 for additional cameras

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

I’m seeing a lot of reviews like this which is the reason I’m holding off on purchasing:

I bought this after a package was stolen from my front door. This is a good product but some improvements can be done. There is a lag in the motion detector and by the time recording kicks in, the delivery person is walking away. This works well if person is activating doorbell and there is time for recording to start. Motion detector is sensitive so set it only to perimeter of about 5 ft otherwise you’ll get a lot of notification.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

Some do say that, many don’t have the same complaint. Let me be the local guinea pig. Costco has a 90 day return policy. Doc’s unit seems like more of a nanny cam, which is fine for that use, and it’s probably better video but has limited alert functions and isn’t outdoor rated and the video archive is expensive. Cover it, and the warranty is gone. Plus, I think it needs a power supply? I don’t see anything comparable to this one, so I’m going to give it a try.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

Very curious to hear your outcome because if it’s positive I’ll definitely buy one.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@lc 123806 wrote:

Some do say that, many don’t have the same complaint. Let me be the local guinea pig. Costco has a 90 day return policy. Doc’s unit seems like more of a nanny cam, which is fine for that use, and it’s probably better video but has limited alert functions and isn’t outdoor rated and the video archive is expensive. Cover it, and the warranty is gone. Plus, I think it needs a power supply? I don’t see anything comparable to this one, so I’m going to give it a try.

The alert functions are the same. If I have it set to motion then it lets me know via a notification. We have 3 of them. Only one is set up to alert me. It does require a power supply. The ding dong doorbell ditch won’t show someone coming up to the door. Most doorbells are mounted on the side of the entry way so it may not activate it until they get to the door.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Let me know when either of you get it and I will come by and door bell ditch you. 🙂

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I read that you only get a notification every 30 minutes on the Nest. That renders it next to useless if someone is prowling, if that’s the case.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The nest notification is instant. As I am pulling in our drive way I get one as I am pulling in the garage. Might want to get those old eyes checked there pardner! 🙂

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@EGL Admin 123817 wrote:

The nest notification is instant. As I am pulling in our drive way I get one as I am pulling in the garage. Might want to get those old eyes checked there pardner! 🙂

Am I looking at the wrong device? It’s pretty clear here that the notifications are limited to 30 minutes intervals.

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

My friend has had the Nest cameras outside for well over a year-since they were called DropCam and then purchased by Nest. Her husband is in LE and they wanted something great quality and reliable. Her images are crystal clear, even at night.

DivotMaker
    Participant
    • Topics - 263
    • Replies - 1,112
    • Total Posts - 1,375

@EGL Admin 123812 wrote:

Let me know when either of you get it and I will come by and door bell ditch you. 🙂

I’m in Auburn now. They stop your kind at the gate :Tongue sticking out

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

Seems to me the lens is too much of a wide angle.. I asked about something with less angle and they said they have a different one called the Stickup Cam.. but it won’t be out for a bit. I may want to try that one..

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@divotmaker 123821 wrote:

I’m in Auburn now. They stop your kind at the gate :Tongue sticking out

They don’t have gates in Auburn. People there don’t know how to use them.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@plasmadrive 123822 wrote:

Seems to me the lens is too much of a wide angle.. I asked about something with less angle and they said they have a different one called the Stickup Cam.. but it won’t be out for a bit. I may want to try that one..

It’s a fisheye lens. I guess it has to be that close to the subject and to pick up a wide area. The stick up cams are 80 deg I think. That’s an awfully narrow angle unless you want to focus on a single entry.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

I finally got the Ring system up and temporarily mounted today. Glad it was temporary, because it’s going back. It’s defective, no audio. More….

–Customer service was very good, and quick. It took us some time, but we determined it was a defective unit, not in the settings
    –Setup is very easy and quick
    –The biggest advantage is no power requirement and the ability to have a conversation with someone at the door from anywhere in the world. Well, IF the audio works..
    –The fisheye lens is good, but there is no way to adjust the exposure. I had in on a covered front porch, and once the image got beyond the porch into the sun, it was totally white. There are no adjustments. Customer service said they’d had this complaint before and “are working on it.” Well, I face north and this is February, so it’s never going to work in that position. It works fine on the porch which is I guess the critical part, but it bothers me there’s no possibility of an image during the daytime beyond the porch.

I’m conflicted. No other camera has the combination of audio and battery power only so I love the product idea, but I am not sure the Ring is ready for prime time. I doubt I’ll repurchase it at this time.

plasmadrive
    Participant
    • Topics - 88
    • Replies - 885
    • Total Posts - 973

well that kinda sucks.. you getting a replacement or a refund?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I saw them at Costco for I think $179. Is having audio to talk to someone outside the front door a big thing. I can see having the video of it.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

That’s where I got it, Costco. Yes, audio is great because the people at the door don’t know if you’re home or away. After I posted this I tried it out in the back yard which is shady. It went the distance, but the infrared really picks up the sun and causes glare. The videos I got aren’t nearly as good as on their website, although the picture of the fake mail carrier we saw a few days ago was taken with Ring I think and it was very good.

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

@plasmadrive 124410 wrote:

well that kinda sucks.. you getting a replacement or a refund?

Just back, got a refund. Looks like Costco is not carrying them any longer. I may try the Nest, even though I dred the thought of bringing power to them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.