fbpx
Advertisements

seamstress will trade alterations/repairs for things needed for apartment

This topic contains 26 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

I have 40 years experience…I worked at Quantico, Virginia in a Marine Corps Tailor shop. I altered police/sheriff uniforms in Stafford County, Virginia, I have done wedding gowns and bridesmaids gowns. There are things I want/need for my apartment that I just cannot afford to buy. I am looking for rugs, shelving, storage totes and just about anything household. I have no transportation to move any of this myself…so, because I am 64 I would need help with that…but would give extra sewing in exchange.Thanks for reading this

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

By the way, from what I have heard, sisterwoman is an excellent seamstress. And we all know Lisa at the comfort Zone wouldn’t lie, so if Lisa thinks she good, then I’m right behind her:):):)

superior
    • Topics - 66
    • Replies - 1,608
    • Total Posts - 1,674

I want in.

PM sent

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

Sisterwoman hemmed several pairs of my short-in-the-legs-daughter’s pants for us. She did a fabulous job and they have proved to be kid tough. She also repaired some fraying couch cushions for us. They are holding up as well and don’t look like they were ever altered. So I recommend her highly and know we will be using her again.

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

Thank you all for the kind words…alterations and repairs are something I love to do.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

@superior 37419 wrote:

I want in.

PM sent

Your pit bull rip your pants? 😉

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

I love pit bulls…had one when I was growing up

superior
    • Topics - 66
    • Replies - 1,608
    • Total Posts - 1,674

No worries Sister. Doc’s exaggerated dog fear aside, (in reality) he is a cool cat.:whiteflag:

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

sorry I have not gotten up with you, superior, I took a fall on the 17th of March and have injured my right hand, I am just now starting to be able to hold a needle, but it is still uncomfortable and sometimes painful to do so. I wanted to tell you that your idea for the curtains to create your customized media viewing area is nice…but there are 2 things I wonder about…one is the stability of the fabric, what I mean is how do you plan to attach it to the track, and also to tell you that my apartment is small and I don’t know for sure if I could handle, correctly that much fabric. I have to tell you that my experience with the fabric you are looking at is sort of limited. However, I did have a great deal of success in creating some 6′ curtains made out of a synthetic leather type fabric that has stood the test of time as far as I know. Sorry I have been out of touch

Ila
    Participant
    • Topics - 87
    • Replies - 1,458
    • Total Posts - 1,545

sisterwoman, I think superior is off snowboarding today, so if he doesn’t respond today, that’s why…

IrisTattoo
    • Topics - 20
    • Replies - 127
    • Total Posts - 147

Sisterwoman, I am looking for someone that can “make” something out of a wedding gown. I was going to donate my daughter’s wedding gown, but found you have to clean them, mail them, etc. which would be costly if I am just donating. Then while searching the internet, I found an agency that takes wedding gowns and turns them into clothing to donate to the parents of children that have died. While they are not accepting any more gowns at this time (they don’t have enough seamstresses to keep up with the demand), it got me thinking I could find someone to turn the gown into a Christening gown. Is this something that you can do, or want to experiment with?

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

I would want a pattern because I can’t make clothes with out one…but, given some tim e for the hand to heal further, I would really like look at the project. If the gown is made with enough fabric, there may be enough for more than one. I will be in a bracr for a while…is there any hurry on this?

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

he is a brave soul, then. I have enough trouble walking sometimes. I envy those who are able to do things like this

IrisTattoo
    • Topics - 20
    • Replies - 127
    • Total Posts - 147

No hurry. Baby not due until August! And, had the dress several years. So, not in a hurry. Hope you get better quick.

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

the hand is usable again…thanks to a really wonderful Physical Therapist.

politicopedro
    • Topics - 247
    • Replies - 4,154
    • Total Posts - 4,401

if alternations, customizing suits is part of the skill set – (or young children’s stuff) send me a PM!

Karen
    • Topics - 15
    • Replies - 504
    • Total Posts - 519

I have a couple of pairs of jeans that need to be shortened. Is that something you could do?

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

Karen, It is absolutely something I could do…and I would love to do it for you.

serenitynow
    • Topics - 1
    • Replies - 31
    • Total Posts - 32

sisterwoman, glad your hand is better. I don’t have anything to trade, but I could pay you cash money. I need some small curtains made for small windows. Would you be interested?

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

Yes, serenitynow, it is but I hope they are just simple ones…like with or without loops on the tops of them. Thank you for the hand comment. There were a few really scary days there. i would love to discuss your project with you…would you be interrested in coming to my apartment? I have no car so my ability to get around is sorta limited. Thanks for writing to you and to Karen

newmom
    Participant
    • Topics - 206
    • Replies - 6,205
    • Total Posts - 6,411

PP, Sister altered my daughter’s pants several months ago and they have held up great!

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

Thanks, newmom, it was a pleasure to do that for you and your beautiful daughter

LC
    Participant
    • Topics - 640
    • Replies - 7,150
    • Total Posts - 7,790

How about re-weaving? Moths attached my favorite light wool suit and our local guy doesn’t have a re-weaver.

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

LC, Never did any reweaving, sorry

sisterwoman
    Participant
    • Topics - 6
    • Replies - 172
    • Total Posts - 178

I also could use some scatter rugs…in good shape and nearly all colors. Thanks

Marie Celine
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 251
    • Total Posts - 256

I have some scatter rugs that I’m not using. I’m trying to think what else I have that I can trade. I am badly in need of a seamstress. Lost 20+ pounds and my clothes are sagging on me. Will pay any reasonable rate if you can make some size 4-6 dresses turn into size 0-2?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Due to a medical condition sister woman is no longer sewing.

Marie Celine
    • Topics - 5
    • Replies - 251
    • Total Posts - 256

Thanks Doc. Please let us know if there is something we can do for her?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.