fbpx
Advertisements

Sheldon & Waterman Road Improvements Open House, Thursday, December 10th, 6 pm

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  zepp 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

The City of Elk Grove is holding an open house to discuss the plan to improve the intersection at Waterman and Sheldon Roads. The plan calls for a traffic circle.

Open House

Date and Time
    Dec 10 2015 6:00 PM — 7:30 PM

Description

The Public Works Department of the City of Elk Grove invites you to come to an Open House for updates on upcoming improvements to the intersection of Sheldon and Waterman Road.

Based on community input collected on November 30, 2011 and public comment received by City Council on February 26, 2014, it was determined that a traffic circle was the preferred treatment for the intersection.

The City, in partnership with Quincy Engineering, is moving forward with the final design. Construction for the project could begin as early as the Summer of 2016 and is expected to last 4 to 5 months. All proposed design elements take into consideration design preferences expressed in the existing Rural Road Improvement Policy and Standards. You are invited to come to the Open House to view the current design and ask any questions you might have on the project. We will also be seeking your input on a few of the final design options for the project.

Location details:
    Elk Grove Public Library
    8900 Elk Grove Blvd
    Elk Grove CA

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

I like that they are keeping the public informed. If you drive through this intersection regularly please try to attend the meeting. If you don’t go, I think you lose your credibility if you want to complain about it later on.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I am going to try and attend. I wish they were doing Bond and Bradshaw at the same time. That is so backed up every morning and evening.

govwatcher
    Participant
    • Topics - 12
    • Replies - 238
    • Total Posts - 250

I agree that it would be good to try and address more than one issue at a time. Wonder if they don’t so they can keep track of how many people are concerned about which issue?

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

They are working on Bradshaw and Sheldon too, but I think that is 2017. That should be done in the summer when school is out. Then it doesn’t get backed up.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

Bond and Bradshaw is bad? I guess I never go during the busy times. Wasn’t there supposed to be a shopping center over there with a Sonic and other things?

Also, what is it with these traffic circles? I’m confused, how will this make traffic better? Wouldn’t a light help? I agree that Waterman/Sheldon and Bradshaw/Sheldon needs some type of traffic control…

ryball
    • Topics - 0
    • Replies - 25
    • Total Posts - 25

Bradshaw and Sheldon is my commute every day. That intersection is a nightmare. Particularly Southbound in the afternoon. It can backup almost to Calvine.

Glad to hear they might be doing something to fix it, whether it be circle or stoplight. It needs something. I personally love the roundabouts on Elk Grove Blvd. I know I am in the minority, but if everyone took the time to figure out how they work, they are so much more efficient.

Mythbusters did an segment on roundabouts. Pertinent section starts at 40:13 – https://youtu.be/6O21f1TrmEg?t=40m13s

Also, prepare for skid marks, broken center islands, and dumped oil pans on any new roundabouts installed in town. :/

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

I like the roundabouts on Elk Grove Blvd. Those flow pretty well, but there is less traffic and they are single lanes. The double lane ones like in Galt at Twin Cities and also in Truckee where highway 89 comes toward 80 are a lot more confusing. Sometimes people in the inner lane need to turn and they cut off the person in the outer lane.

Bradshaw at Sheldon backs up southbound every weeknight. Also it backs up in the morning going northbound because of the school. It will back up from Sheldon to where the schools are almost.

Funny story about the roundabouts. First time I ever drove through one was the ones in Camden. I was going to a house and needed to turn left, so I went all the way around and ended up going back the way I came in. I misses where I was supposed to go right. I thought what the heck? So I turned around and went back through and almost did it again.

bevone
    Participant
    • Topics - 60
    • Replies - 1,071
    • Total Posts - 1,131

Why are they considering roundabouts rather than a traffic signal? I was under the impression when they redid the intersection at Bond and Waterman that it was in anticipation of Waterman becoming a four lane road. Roundabouts on a four lane road will be a real mess and traffic will back up like it does now.

gearshark23
    • Topics - 23
    • Replies - 1,226
    • Total Posts - 1,249

@EGL Admin 120891 wrote:

I like the roundabouts on Elk Grove Blvd. Those flow pretty well, but there is less traffic and they are single lanes. The double lane ones like in Galt at Twin Cities and also in Truckee where highway 89 comes toward 80 are a lot more confusing. Sometimes people in the inner lane need to turn and they cut off the person in the outer lane.

Bradshaw at Sheldon backs up southbound every weeknight. Also it backs up in the morning going northbound because of the school. It will back up from Sheldon to where the schools are almost.

Funny story about the roundabouts. First time I ever drove through one was the ones in Camden. I was going to a house and needed to turn left, so I went all the way around and ended up going back the way I came in. I misses where I was supposed to go right. I thought what the heck? So I turned around and went back through and almost did it again.

They have that double lane one in Rocklin. People don’t understand that they need to stay in their lane. Stonelake has the roundabout but they had stop signs until recently they went with Yield signs. I think a round-about at Bradshaw and Sheldon would be worst. I remember when I used to commute from FTB to Elk Grove last year.

@bevone 120893 wrote:

Why are they considering roundabouts rather than a traffic signal? I was under the impression when they redid the intersection at Bond and Waterman that it was in anticipation of Waterman becoming a four lane road. Roundabouts on a four lane road will be a real mess and traffic will back up like it does now.

I agree, I thought a traffic light would be better.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

There is no time table to make Waterman 4 lanes. It has to do with the Rural Roads Standards. Traffic needs to exceed a specific amount before they will do anything. I would like to see Bradshaw be 4 lanes to at least Bond. It would make it harder for me to get out of my street and turn left, but it would make traffic a lot better there.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

I think the round a bouts will move traffic fine. At some point in time when increased traffic and/or widening of the roads is needed they can rebuild the intersection as a stop light but those roads (Waterman/Sheldon/Bradshaw) could easily take 10-15 years before they have the need and/or funding to widen.

zepp
    Participant
    • Topics - 2
    • Replies - 18
    • Total Posts - 20

The traffic circles work well on Elk Grove blvd, but I could see this not being so good when there is a lot of traffic in one direction without a break, and people could be waiting a really long time to get in there. I would prefer a light. Unfortunately, I have a meeting right at this exact time so I won’t be able to make the meeting, but glad they are trying something.

Bainc
    • Topics - 9
    • Replies - 892
    • Total Posts - 901

As for a stop light the rural folks will come out in force against having a stop light. Brings too much city to the country I guess.

The Bradshaw/Sheldon intersection requires a new bridge over a spur of Laguna Creek. Much more costly and environmental hurdles. Finally, there’s actually more vehicles that travel through Waterman/Sheldon compared to Bradshaw/Sheldon. For all these reasons the Waterman intersection is being done first.

EGL Admin
    • Topics - 3,082
    • Replies - 21,888
    • Total Posts - 24,970

Tonight is the open house should be interesting. I will be there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.