Worst marketing ever

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

There is some controversy brewing, no pun intended, in Galt over the name of a brewery. They call it Special Ed’s. Apparently one of the owner’s names is Ed and someone calls him Special Ed, hence the name of the brewery. Nothing too bad about that except they carried it a little farther along the Special Ed theme and one of their slogans is “tard tested, tard approved”. They have T shirts that say “ride the short bus”.

[IMG]https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p261x260/13332899_1075406295858528_2813251014290468506_n.jpg?oh=7f9dda93aa99ed05dc52b64e5cc3f758&oe=57D06AFE[/IMG]

They are getting blasted on their FB page. Instead apologizing they are making things worse by trying to say they aren’t making fun of disabled people. Their family and friends are defending them and calling other people names.

This is a link to their reviews: https://www.facebook.com/specialedsbrewery/reviews/

newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

I read that earlier today. What an idiot. The t-shirt and slogans are what ruined it.

joy
      Participant
      • Topics - 99
      • Replies - 3,934
      • Total Posts - 4,033

W.o.w.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

Thank you for sharing this……….its really sad. It’s not even the name that upset me, its the “tard tasted, tard approved” comments on the labels. This guy can play dumb all he wants, he knew what he was doing was shocking and totally offensive. There’s a petition and as a mom of three special needs kids, I signed it.
      https://www.change.org/p/california-department-of-consumer-affairs-to-remove-the-derogatory-branding-of-special-eds-brewery?recruiter=309872781&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=mob-xs-google-no_msg&recuruit_context=fb_share_mention_control

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

They really just don’t get it. Even after all the comments, they still don’t get it. The guy said he ran it by his family and friends, some of whom have or work with disabled kids and they thought it was funny. Then their supporters are telling people stop being so sensitive and butt hurt and PC. It’s not about that. As a business the last thing you want to do is offend people. PC or not, you’re asking for trouble.

newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

Yes, his friends and family are in the wrong here too. I think they are confused between defending him and defending the branding. He might be the most wonderful, caring, fabulous guy in the world who really didn’t mean any of this to be bad…..but instead they are defending his t-shirts and slogans. An overwhelming number of people are telling him his slogans are awful, and he and his friends/family refuse to see it. Unless he plans on only doing business with those few people, he won’t be around long.

SteveB6509
      Participant
      • Topics - 36
      • Replies - 1,460
      • Total Posts - 1,496

Wow – I feel sorry for the people of Galt who have to share the name of their City with this guy.

KristenK
      • Topics - 0
      • Replies - 2
      • Total Posts - 2

That is a good example of how NOT to do social media :Tongue sticking out

gearshark23
      • Topics - 23
      • Replies - 1,226
      • Total Posts - 1,249

If he just left it at the name, Ok. But since he made the shirts, well, now he looks like a complete idiot.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

I agree gearshark…..

It’s like a juvenile redneck drunkfest that got out of hand (yes, I am sure there ARE still people who talk that way about people with special needs)and then they decided it was a great idea. WTH were they thinking???? I think someone said he or another person who applauded this works in a school district too?? And still they thought it was a good idea????

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

An apology was posted on the business FB page before they deleted the page.

[IMG]https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13445540_10154217067175350_3288374134192090319_n.jpg?oh=615c9dbae27e6f1348cb4389244f812b&oe=580C0206[/IMG]

I am not really buying the sincerity of it. I think they are still trying to justify what they did. He mentions he has a black friend who thought the “back of the bus brown ale” was funny. Maybe he did and that’s fine. Maybe they joke around like that and that’s cool. I was on a 8 day golf trip with 5 other guys and we joked around a lot and it wasn’t PC at all. Nothing was off limits. I would never think well my friends thought this was funny, I’ll put this slogan on my business.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

Someone posted the comments from the bus photo(with the window licker?) and Ed, himself, had posted that it was a window licker….I think he was trying to backtrack out of a lot of the crap he said and did, but I don’t think he honestly thought it was going to offend anyone. I think he, and his wife were just ignorant. I kinda feel sorry for him now…….he really messed up his “business” with stupid, juvenile antics.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

Last night the owner met with some families of special needs kids. I was told he was very apologetic and seemed sincere.

gearshark23
      • Topics - 23
      • Replies - 1,226
      • Total Posts - 1,249

Welllll……………. that’s Galt for you. :stir:

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

It was more his “friends” or “family” doing the attacks on the threads. They weren’t helping his case. It just got the vicious ones in attack mode.

I am glad he had the decency to meet some people. I think it was just ignorance and red neck thinking rather than being a jerk….but I didn’t see him other than on the board. But he didn’t sound like a jerk on the boards, just people fighting for him.

gearshark23
      • Topics - 23
      • Replies - 1,226
      • Total Posts - 1,249

Well his brewery was vandalized. Some threw 2 rocks through his front window.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

OMG some people are such jerks! You can disagree and not be violent!

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

The vandals probably didn’t even care about the name, just wanting to cause trouble.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

well…..this looks like post #19 on the thread. Some say there is no such thing as bad press. If you drove by and saw the name, would it click? Might you be interested enough to stop in and see the place? Does anyone really think this will permanently hurt his business, meaning people that actually would have gone in and spent money won’t now? Doubtful. My guess is the man wished none of this would have happened, however I doubt it’s going to hurt him over time. Still scratching my head as to what he was thinking with those graphics and phrases, but trying not to judge too much. We all make mistakes we regret.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

I disagree. I think there will be a few people who will come in out of curiosity. A few that will come in because they don’t like the PC stuff, but when it all settles down I think a lot of people will never try it because of the controversy. Now they are going to change the name too, which is a good idea. I think they were sitting around with friends and came up with the name and of course friends know him and probably know he’s not a bad guy and thought it was funny. I don’t think they thought about what others may think. I think they thought they could get past the initial outrage, but I think the people commenting telling others to grow up and stop being sensitive made it worse and then people called the news media and they shared it on social media. Once that happened it made it so this was going to be a huge issue.

newmom
      Participant
      • Topics - 206
      • Replies - 6,204
      • Total Posts - 6,410

The news reported on the story…said he is getting death threats and people are threatening to rape his wife and daughter. I don’t know why people think his actions warrant such behavior on their parts. Just making a bad situation worse, and making him into a victim rather than focusing on the initial issue.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

After the dust settles, it’s going to depend largely on whether people enjoy the place or not. If they have good beer and food if they serve it, they’ll probably do fine. If not, it’s going to be like any other mediocre venue.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@newmom 126348 wrote:

The news reported on the story…said he is getting death threats and people are threatening to rape his wife and daughter. I don’t know why people think his actions warrant such behavior on their parts. Just making a bad situation worse, and making him into a victim rather than focusing on the initial issue.

There’s always sickos who carry it to far.

violarose
      • Topics - 106
      • Replies - 2,959
      • Total Posts - 3,065

I hope you guys know me better to call me ignorant. but this whole thing is stupid. No other word. Maybe it wasn’t the best marketing idea, maybe a cute idea went way bad. he apologized, we should as a public get over it. This is what makes people afraid to take chances. People make stupid mistakes sometimes, his friends didn’t help by “keeping the talk over it alive”, but death threats. Too much. I wish we could forgive easier.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

It makes for good Internet fodder for those who have nothing better to do, and good views for those where views matter πŸ˜‰

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

One out of ten times–maybe–Blair comes up with a cogent article. This one of those. Nice job.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@LC 126407 wrote:

It makes for good Internet fodder for those who have nothing better to do, and good views for those where views matter πŸ˜‰

Not sure it’s a matter of having nothing better to do. It’s a different era now that we live in where everyone can share their opinion in a much quicker fashion. In high school and as a young adult I would always write letters to the editor of the Bee and Elk Grove Citizen. Sometimes they got printed and sometimes they didn’t. My friends and family used to give me a bad time about it. I think that was kind of the precursor to all of this. I’ve always been very opinionated and not afraid to share it.

Social media can have a lot of power. This story went viral in 24-48 hours. In this case I think it worked.

LC
      Participant
      • Topics - 641
      • Replies - 7,148
      • Total Posts - 7,789

Doc, it wasn’t so much a criticism as much as just a wish that people would let more things go. Whether the guy is sincere or not, who knows. Seems to be. Let him have a chance to prove he’s got value in his business.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

He didn’t do as much damage with his ignorance as his family members and friends did supporting and defending the statements and slogans. What people seem to not understand, is those of us with special needs kids(many with FAR more serious needs than my own) are used to fighting to get what our kids needs. We are a unit and no special need divides us from another. We support and ban together and can move mountains. This man, Ed, needed an education in tolerance and respect. And one of the moms saw to it that he got that. She is his cheerleader now. More power to her. I am not a beer drinker, so I won’t be supporting his business. And I think his wife still is grinding an axe with her choice of his business’s new name. Why would you want to connect your new name to the drama that nearly cost you your business venture?

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@LC 126423 wrote:

Doc, it wasn’t so much a criticism as much as just a wish that people would let more things go. Whether the guy is sincere or not, who knows. Seems to be. Let him have a chance to prove he’s got value in his business.

I think the delay in reacting and the comments of his friends and family are what doomed him. Also his initial comments

adiffer
      Participant
      • Topics - 179
      • Replies - 9,504
      • Total Posts - 9,683

@kindrlindr 126426 wrote:

This man, Ed, needed an education in tolerance and respect. And one of the moms saw to it that he got that. She is his cheerleader now. More power to her.

Good enough for me.
      When one of us defends these folks, I’m inclined to think the lesson has been learned.

kindrlindr
      Participant
      • Topics - 34
      • Replies - 2,374
      • Total Posts - 2,408

Adiffer………It sounds like he at least sat down and heard her. That is progress. Rome wasn’t built in a day.. πŸ™‚

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

Another thing too is it brought more awareness to the situation and special needs kids. I think that’s a plus.

joy
      Participant
      • Topics - 99
      • Replies - 3,934
      • Total Posts - 4,033

I don’t really agree. The only awareness this brought to me was that there are actually still people out there who use the word “tard,” let alone make it a marketing hook.

EGL Admin
      • Topics - 3,087
      • Replies - 21,882
      • Total Posts - 24,969

@joy 126474 wrote:

I don’t really agree. The only awareness this brought to me was that there are actually still people out there who use the word “tard,” let alone make it a marketing hook.

Some people still think saying “retard” is acceptable. If nothing else they learned it’s not. That’s a plus.

Eric The Balloon Dude
      • Topics - 3
      • Replies - 2
      • Total Posts - 5

I have to agree with everybody. The name alone would have been fine but then it seems like a couple of 15 year olds were put in charge of the marketing.

Viewing 36 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.